chillies

LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
What's the best way to get rid of greenfly on chillies, tried spraying with insecticide but they keep coming back & can only spray a few times.

• To cope with a couple of dozen plants infected I remove by hand .Look underneath the leaves carefully because they seem to be the same colour as the leaves and can be difficult to spot until used to by a little practice.

A garlic spray is sometime used by big growers.

The advantage of removing by hand on a daily basis , if possible time wise, is that the whole plant can be examined for any other problems.

I find the greenfly problem seems to last for a short period ,and then thankfully it seems to stop.My experience in the last three years.

Perhaps the leaves become tougher as they get older 

If in flower they can be pollinated at the same time just by using your finger tip.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Thank you November member but how strong should I make it?
  • Hi Logan,

This year I have bought a bottle which is diluted to the instructions given.

To be fair have not tried  it yet as no greenfly .

The cost was high for the volume of contents and it might be worth searching on the web for help how to make your own.

Perhaps other members have got their own muck and magic spray which they might be willing to share.

Good luck.

Thanks November member
  • LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

A devil aren't they? I put a squeeze of squeazy into water in a half litre sprayer and it cleared aphids from my currants. But it only kills ones you spray, it is not persistent. Pyrethrin is another good insecticide, unlike soapy water it lasts a few weeks, finally degrading in sunlight. It kills all insects. It is toxic to cats, but relatively safe for humans, but asthmatics might do well to avoid it. 

The problem with chillis indoors is the absence of predators. 

Thanks leifuk I've tried w up liquid it doesn't work very well got to be careful not to make it too strong or it will kill the flowers. Haven't tried phrethrin.
  • LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Don't put pyrethrin on the tree, it'll kill pollinators, ladybirds etc.