Forum home Talkback

gardening advice programmes

Mouse2Mouse2 Posts: 19

One man and his dog (GW) verses Beechgrove Garden.

It depends what you want, good gardening advice on a variety of projects or one man doing his own garden with visits to plant collections.

Personally I am disappointed with GW now, it was an informed programme, which covered large range of ideas and advice, but no longer.

Beechgrove is based in Scotland with four presenters,  several ongoing projects,  trials and good advice.

Has anyone else found this too?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,447

Oh dear - I hadn't realised it was a competition image

Can we not enjoy both of them or watch whichever one we prefer?

I think Nutcutlet had the best suggestion

nutcutlet wrote (see)

I think what we need is a designated  thread entitled 'Whinge about GW and MD'

Then us gardeners can ignore it and get on with the real stuff of life.image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,798

Of course we can watch both but that doesn't mean we can't wish that GW would raise its game or that the Beeb would once again commission series aimed at beginner gardeners, front gardens, neighbourhood gardening, garden design for specific situations and budgets, HIdden Gardens, Flying Gardeners and so on as it has in the past.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Mouse2Mouse2 Posts: 19

Not a competition just disappointed with recent content of a programme which was informative and very helpful. As dealing with a difficult site all positive advice was always useful. 

We seem to have had a winter schedule full of gardening programmes image

We've had the Big Dreams, Small Spaces series (I understand there's another one in the pipeline), and the Great British Garden Revival and the Allotment Challenge, plus programmes about the Queen's Garden etc - in fact the Telegraph talks of a 'deluge' of gardening programmes http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/11304180/The-best-gardening-TV-programmes-in-2015.html

And on GW Carol's doing the very relevant regular feature on rejuvenating a neglected garden (how many queries do we get about that on here?) .

Yes, Beechgrove is different to GW - there's no point in them both covering the same ground - to me they appear to complement each other.

What I find so hard to understand is the need for some people to declare allegiance to one programme or the other - they're not football teams! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,814

Get that thread started Nut.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I think the constant complaining spoils this forum. My heart sinks when another one comes round. Three complaining threads active at the moment. It's just a TV programme for goodness sake, the presenters are just people, some you like, some you don't.

TV programmes are designed for the entertainment of as many people as possible at one time. Not for the education of a small group. Given that the small group all want something different that would be impossible.

Have to admit I'm not a TV watcher. All that celebrity stuff lost me somewhere in the 1960s

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,695

I thought that the purpose of the off button was to avoid what you did not like.

Walk out to winter, swear I'll be there.
    Chill will wake you, high and dry
    You'll wonder why.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

No Punkdoc, it's so you can watch and complain laterimage

Works for me Pdoc - and the fact that I fall asleep so easily when bored image