Courgettes

Good morning to each, whats the best for growing Courgettes on, soil, grow bags or compost as i dont seem to have much success growing them,any advice is greatly appreciated. ... regards Chris

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,270

I think in the garden is best but there are some dwarf varieties for tubs.

They dont like cold, I have just sowed seeds now and wont plant them out until end of May at least.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Grow mine in bottomless buckets on raised bed makes for easier watering and picking before they become marrowsimage

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

They do much better in soil. I have heavy clay soil lightened with compost. They love it. They like plenty of sun, and I'd advise a bush one. The one I had last year crawled across the garden. Start now, plant out when warm and no frosts. 

• Morning allimage does anyone pinch out the tip on courgettes? I never have BUT thinking abouts itimage would it Bush or just stunt the plants ?

• They are Zucchini F1 if that makes any difference??

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Primrosecottage no you can't pinch them out you'll stunt the plants
  • Thanks Logan image  I very nearly did it imagegood you repliedimage

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

Full sun, and lots of good soil is usually best, but a couple of years ago I had a pretty wonderful accident when one of my Tromboncini di Albenga, a really long/tall growing climbing variety hopped from the fence where it was supposd to grow on to a neighbouring young oak tree... it wandered into the tree, so it was rather in half shade than full sun, but there were jungle-like lianas loaded with courgttes hanging from the tree until autumn. Easy to pick, and no rotting fruit on wet soil. I so want to make it happen again in the new garden.

• DeedotDeedot Posts: 31

I grow in the ground. But years ago Geoff Hamilton used to say to prepare a hole 12"x12"x12" (cubic foot) and fill it with good compost mixed with the garden soil. This will create a mounded area. plant them in the top of the mound. And water round it. I have two plants in the ground already... Not growing very fast with this cold snap. They are under a fleece. Will be sowing more this month for insurance, and sometimes I replace the old plants with the new later in the season.

Growing a yellow one and a dark skinned one This year. One year I grew a round one..., Rondo I think it was called. That was great for stuffing.

• lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 271

Sow in pots indoors or even in an unheated greenhouse and then transplant into the garden.  They need lots of water and plenty of sun.  Pick when small as they do in the Med. countries.  If you miss one and it grows overnight into a miniature Zeppelin, slice it lengthways, brush with herb-flavoured olive and barbecue or grill; eat hot or cold.  Yum!