Forum home Talkback

Money tree leaves turning spongy

Hi, can anyone help, i have what i think is called a money tree which i have kept indoors and is about 3 years old.

it has grown well in the pot and is about 1 foot tall by just over 1 foot in diameter, however the taller central original part (not affecting the offshoots that have come up over the years) has begun to become spongy; what i mean is that when you touch the leaves they dont feel solid like they used to, they now feel soft and are turning dark and wrinkly.

any help?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,642

Hi Clair image

Afraid that doesn't sound good - I'd take off the offshoots and pot them up separately. 

You can also make new plants by using the 'leaves' as cuttings.

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi

Thanks i will try dividing the parts which are still ok and see if they survive, i will try using the leaves as cuttings too.

Sounds like the plant has had it, shame it was doing so well.

Cheers.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

It could be over watering. Have good is the drainage in the pot?

• Hi, its 4 months since i first posted and im happy to say that of the two methods i tried, both worked.

Took the parts of the plant off which were spongy and not looking green like they should, and the pieces that remain are doing ok; also the ones which i chopped down seem to have new growth.

I also tried removing some of the leaves and leaving in some seperate pots to start new plants, this worked too. I took about 10 leaves from the healthy part of the plant, left them to dry out and seal at the end before placing them in the seedling pots with lots of drainage and little water; kept in the grren house they are now rooted and new plants are growing.

All good..but too many plants now .. freecycle when they are a bit bigger i think.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,642

Well done Clair - that's good going - and thanks for letting us know image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh