cold snap and potatoes

bazabaza Posts: 586
Hello Everyone Our potatoes are starting to come through but there is a cold snap coming. Should I start earthing them up just as they are coming through to protect them from the cold or will they be ok Thanks Baz

• BoaterBoater Posts: 241

My plan is to earth up and wrap some horticultural fleece around my bags, I may very well put the poly tunnel over the top, although I met let them soak up some rain first to save on watering.

I'd be interested to see advice from people who grow them regularly though.

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,224

Baza.  Earth em up asap. 

Boater.  Put em in your polytunnel if you can.  They should not need fleecing if they are in sacks. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    If they are in the soil as opposed to bags just cover the shoots with soil. At this time of year there are only frosts on still nights so you can cover the shoots with newspaper and it will not blow away; and it is easy to remove in the morning.
  • bazabaza Posts: 586
    Thanks everyone
  • I'm growing them in sacks for the first time this year and I noticed this morning that they are just showing tips of shoots. Tomorrow night we should have a frost so should I put compost or fleece on them?

• No expertNo expert Posts: 415

Have been covering up for weeks now as we get a slight frost most nights till early May.

If they do get a touch of frost keep direct sun off them as this burns the leaves.

• BoaterBoater Posts: 241

Severity of frost depends where you are, tonight's forecast for here (W central Scotland) has improved to 1C, tomorrow night is forecast -2C, but then today was forecast last night to be rainy and I haven't seen a drop all day (although it was dirzzly last night).

Spuds seem to grow fast once they get going, I spotted shoots in the other 2 bags first thing and by this evening they were much bigger!

• My potatoes caught the frost last night,theleaves are wilted. Can anyone tell me

will they come again, or should  I start again. l have covered them up tonight just in case. Thanks for any advice.

• No expertNo expert Posts: 415

Very cold here in Tipperary tonight. Some snow flakes this evening. Rain, wind and frost forecast for tonight. Everything covered up but keeping fingers crossed the wind doesn't blow the covers off.