Forum home The potting shed

More Gardeners World Please

Not sure if there has already been a discussion about this, but does anyone else agree that Gardeners World on the BBC should be on for an hour. It only just seems to have come on at 8.30 and in no time at all its finished. Come on BBC lets have it on for an hour. I love Monty Don and his advice - more please.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,481

Frequently discussed on here and most of us agree wholeheartedly.  However this site belongs to the magazine, not the programme.

To let the BBC know your views visit the programme website and use the email address shown http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mw1h

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• thank you

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i've emailed them as i really look forward to it each week and half an hour just isn't enough as there are no other gardening programmes on to watch 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,071

Beechgrove is filmed in Scotland and goes out on their BBC2 on Thursdays.  repeated on Sunday morning on UK wide BBC2.   It packs in loads more info and fun than GW without seeming at all rushed and has some very knowledgeable presenters.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Beechgrove is a different class & far superior. Not dog, wheelbarrow, man, man, wheelbarrow, dog (and dead box hedges). image

I'll get me coat! image

• You seem to know the GW format David does that mean you watch itimage

I agree about Beech grove not quite so highbrow  image and it packs a lot into the programme (but I still watch MD and Nigelimage)

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,481

There's all sorts of gardens and all sorts of gardeners - the thing that we all agree on is that we can't get enough of it!!! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• primrosecottage wrote (see)

You seem to know the GW format David does that mean you watch itimage

I do indeed, primrose (though not exactly riveted).....it helps me understand issues on this forum.  image

Long live Beechgrove!! image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,071

For me GW is something I watch on Saturday pm, now that it's repeated then, whilst doing something else like getting dinner ready or sewing or doing dance club admin or else I catch up later on Sunday when I watch the recording with ditto activity.  

It's not riveting enough to watch just with a glass of wine or a coffee any more and certainly doesn't require full attention except when they have an interesting guest appearance such as the wonderfully loquacious James A-S or people like that iris couple who wax lyrically and informatively about their plant passion.

On the other hand, Beechgrove always has something new and does informative trials on plant varieties, cultivation methods, feeding régimes, compost quality etc.  30 minutes of bliss even when they're covering a group of plants I can't grow here.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    The beechgrove garden and gardeners world compliment each other nicely.

Two sides of a coin.

When Monty first took over at gw I was aghast , but that seems like a long time ago, and actually a different life for me.

Now I love firing up iPlayer and delving into another 30 minutes of life at longmeadow.

Monte soothes us into the weekend.