Forum home Fruit & veg

Need advice about a new Plum

I planted two trees in January - an apple and a plum. Both are new trees, on dwarf root stock, from Homebase; the ground was prepared in the same way for both. 

The apple now has leaves growing, but nothing is appearing on the plum. I think it's dying. What can I do? 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,064

All you can do is wait Justine.  Assuming you planted bare-root trees, sometimes they sulk and decide to just grow roots for a while before leafing-up, but sometimes they do not take and die.  If you use your thumbnail to scrape off a thin layer of bark near the top of the tree and see green, the tree is still alive.  If it is brown underneath the bark, try again lower down and if that is also brown it's dead and you should ask for your money back.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

I had a new plum tree last year. I thought the same, that it was dying. 

It grew branches FROM THE BOTTOM so keep an eye on it from there before you give up hope image 

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Fruitcake: was it growing only below the graft point?

LeifUK- I'm not too sure. Definitely most of its new growth came from the bottom. tjere is new growth at the top but only after I cut the top off. It's at the allotment, I'll check when I'm next there image 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Justine it all depends on variety if it's a late one it might start later, but keep watering in dry weather.

@LeifUK, I checked today and the growth is above the graft, but only in the 12 inches or so above it. Its full of leaves but there has been no blossom on it whatsoever. 

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Sounds odd but at least it is the top that is growing. Mind you it is young. Maybe too dry, too wet, too little feed? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about plums will comment. 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    We planted plums 6 years ago last year they flowered for the first time.Sounds like you had die back for some reason maybe it got too wet.