Lawn mower servicing

What ho one and all,

I have the standard, petrol driven, push lawn mower with a B&S engine.  Nothing special, not expensive, it does the job required.

But..................  it could do with a service.  Have enquired at the local servicing places and their prices of around £160 + VAT is not on, considering that the mower only cost about £250 when new.

I do most of the servicing on my car so am not worried about trying to service the mower, but it would be nice to know where I can source the various bits that  may need replacing and a manual.

Any ideas?

Thanks and toodle pip.

Rex

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,527

Try here http://www.espares.co.uk/browse/at1116/lawnmowers

I've not used them for lawnmower spares, but I've used them for other things and they've been very good.

Try contacting the manufacturers for a manual, or even ebay.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RekusuRekusu Posts: 49

Thanks.  Didn't think of eSpares.  Have used them in the past for blender / washing machine bits but never considered them for lawn mowers.

eBay also brought up some useful bits.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,527

The internet can be wonderful image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• You'll find the manual on google, just put the model number in and see what pops up

• RekusuRekusu Posts: 49

Haven't tried that (yet.)  From what I can see, about the only servicing item readily available is an air filter. 

I now mine is pretty clogged with oil so replacing is certainly sensible,

Is there any reason that one cannot wash the air filter?

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 1,963

eSpares are very good. Recently purchased a Flymo blade from them. A bit pricey but could not find that item from anywhere else.

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Haynes do a lawnmower manual which cover most lawnmowers with a fault finding guide which is worth taking a look at

• Always best with new air filter and plug, change oil and sharpen blade. £30 parts and 1hr work. Check cables and clean/grease wheel bearings. Give the carb a basic clean and check the fuel lines appear clean.

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 1,888

Many of the foam type air filters are impregnated with oil deliberately. This type can be washed & re-oiled ok. Obviously if it's a paper type then change it also consider why it is so contaminated. In normal use  or before putting away  do not tip or tilt your machine on it's side when hot & oil is more fluid, wait till has fully cooled if you you have to "manoeuvre" it a lot to put it away. 

AB Still learning

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

The original poster was in 2015.

A spambot brought this up to The latest threads: this has been deleted now (as has my comment explaining the spammer). I don't think the original poster is around to see your helpful advice.