Forum home Talkback

Help on planting

i have just received some lily of the valley from an online company.  They are in a plastic bag with shredded newspaper and state to plant immediately.  It is still too cold as the evening temps are in the low 30's .  What can I do to keep them alive?

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 635

Plant them up right away there hardy enough to go outside temperature won't bother them at all.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,862

Totally agree with Andy - plant them now - they'll be fine image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thank you both for your feedback.  I did get everything planted today, have been watching the weather and there is no frost foreseen in the next couple of weeks.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

Hardy plants don't worry about a frost Lisaimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,796

Funny stuff LoV, Some folk just can't get it to grow. 

I looked after a garden for 15 years and had to dig out barrow loads of it every year .

Devon.
  • DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

Took me a while as well although I'm on similar ground to where my MiL used to have loads BUT finally have a healthy looking patch growing well.  Very pleased as I really like the perfume.

ps I have just purchased a Choisya labelled White Damask.  Good specimen but not from a nursery and I can't find a White Damask anywhere.  Anyone got one? 

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

Yes it does seem cheap but it probably isn't as well grown as the photo or mine either.  Most nurseries are a lot more than that for any Choisya, mine was a fiver from the store I get my dog food from. The owners have a large garden and occasionally a stall with plants/veg on. Mine has the flowers and the perfume and looks very healthy so I bought it on impulse as I just happen to have a container and a spot which needs filling.