Forum home Talkback

Autumn planted garlic

Hello gardening world. I have just become a member. I planted some hard neck and soft neck garlic in November. The plants look as if they are doing really well. However. I have noticed that the tops of the soft neck garlic are turning yellow at the top. Has anyone else experienced this and is it a problem?

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,478

Just want to bump you up in the hope someone can help.

Utah, USA.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,635

There have been other similar queries lately - think it's the recent dry weather - if you don't get a good downpour give them a good soaking. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• thanks both. Hopefully last night's rain will help.

• frensclanfrensclan Posts: 112

Tried to post before I logged in so here goes again!!! A couple of years ago I planted autumn garlic onions etc. as I was going to be away the following spring for a couple of months. On my return in April last year I found similar conditions to those you describe. Basically I just left well alone, weeded fed and watered when required and enjoyed lovely garlic which lasted until about a month ago. Although they did yellow with a bit of heat and plenty of water they soon put on new growth and swelled out nicely. I have done the same again this year and hope for a similar result.