Black Plastic Bins

I was wondering what everyone thinks about growing veg in the black plastic waste bins. I had an idea to grow carrots in one as they are high of the ground and I thought it would deter the carrot fly.  The bin was in the sun today and it smelt really bad of plastic and I wondered if the plastic would contaminate the soil?

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Not sure what you mean by waste bin, but won't they require huge amounts of compost? Just get some fine mesh, enviromesh I think it is called, or similar. I take it you suffer from carrot fly? It will also keep away sparrows, black birds, cats and badgers. 

• The black bins that people used to put their bin bags in?  Before wheelie bins came along.  I've never grown carrots before.  I've just heard alot about carrot fly.

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,227

Yes you can grow lots of veg in one of those bins.  carrot, spuds even salad.   The smell of plastic won't make any difference at all aNd the heat from the plastic will be beneficial to growing.   As said above it will take an awful lot of compost but you could put rubble or polystyrene in the bottom first to bring up the level and then put your compost on top. Not right to the top though.   You will certainly deter carrot fly.   Don't forget to make some drainage holes in the bottom first.