Toms-- pot or growbag?

I am going to try growing tomatoes in a plastic greenhouse this year----as my very old greenhouse was demolished in the winter.

The growbag looks too big to fit into the plastic one, so I'm wondering should I use three pots instead. Any suggestions  ?

• jpsbcfcjpsbcfc Posts: 50

I am using pots this time only because I have them and I don't have any growbags tbh.

plus monty don used them on GW a couple of years ago iirc, so if they are good enough for him they wil do for me!

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,152

Given the choice I'd go for pots. 

I find grow bags to shallow for the roots, alternatively, cut a grow bag in half and stand them on their ends with equal amounts of compost in the two halves and drainage holes in the bottom.

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    I always use pots. Its easier to make sure the plants are watered properly and they can be earthed up as they grow in order to encourage more roots to develop.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,306

Pots because you can move them more easily if you have to.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783

Maybe a combination?  I've cut the bottom out of good sized plastic pots and inserted two side by side into a hole in the top of a growbag.  I filled the pots with additional compost prior to planting up the tomatoes.  The pots are watered, with excess shared between the two plants in the grow bag soil.  Their roots also filled both the pot and the grow bag, so they utilized all that extra soil.

Utah, USA.
  • OldtykeOldtyke Posts: 155

I find unless you cut a growbag in half and up end it, they are very difficult to keep watered.

• T CT C Posts: 30

I had no issues with mine in just a bag. I grew in a grow bag last year, 4 cuts 4 plants. Watered everyday, sunny position. My tomatoes grew about 9ft high and produced easily a day of tomatoes a day just on the 4 plants. Come October I had 4kilos of green/unripe tomatoes for chutney.

However When throwing it all away I did notice that the roots had gone through the bag and into the normal soil below.

I guess it depends if you want to move them or not, I had mine growing up against a trelace for support so did not bother to move them all summer.

• MinigranMinigran Posts: 8

I bought some grow bag frames at Gardener's World Live 3 yrs ago. They hold the growbags on their sides so there is a greater depth of compost, and allow the bag to be moved even when the plants are quite big ( OK its not easy, but possible with the old man on t'other end image ).

Tomatoes grow really well in them, so do peppers, so I bought 2 more. Watering is not a problem, I use a 2L plastic pop bottle with the bottom cut off as a deep funnel, permanently pushed into the compost.

This year the toms are going in the greenhouse beds revitalised with a thick layer of manure, and I am going to have a go at melons and aubergines in the grow bags up on the shelves.

We are lucky enough to have a real victorian greenhouse, with slate shelves that heat up beautifully when the sun shines, radiating the heat at night. Even without the steam heating pipes (boiler long since defunct along with the fortune that paid for the heating) it keeps warm enough to bring on tomatoes to flower bud stage already.

• lemonelemone Posts: 3

Thanks for all comments.  looks like pots win!  Which is just as well because I've tried to squeeze the growbag to fit into the plastic greenhouse, and it just won't go!  I'll mix the contents with my own compost and that should fill 3 large pots.  I also use the green.plastic, open bottomed pots bought from gardeners world several years ago, which aid even watering and help support plants.  Not keen on the plastic green house, so next purchase is a new greenhouse.  Now,,,,, what will it be?  Wooden or aluminium??????