Lawn Mower won't stay running

I cannot keep my mower running.  I can get it to start, but it only lasts about 4 seconds and then slowly fades and cuts out.  I have new fuel, new oil, and a new spark plug.

What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783

Maybe fuel filter?  Or possibly the fuel line itself?  Maybe water in the engine?  How was it stored over the winter?  Did you drain the fuel out prior to storage?  Or did you run a fuel preserver through the lines instead?

Utah, USA.
  • Thanks for your reply.

For fear of sounding like an idiot.  No.  Just bunged it in the shed and left it.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,933

As I have always done and it hasn't caused any problems. I would clean the filter and see if that helps. In fact take the filter out and see if it continues running. I always had to take the lid off the filter to get mine started.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Check the throttle/clutch linkage if you can. May be slightly loose.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783

You may be fine just tossing it in the shed and leaving it over winter.. that's usually what I do. image  Mainly because I mow, plan to mow the following week.. then it snows or something and that's it for fall/winter.  Plus I've got two small children, and lawn mower care is low down on the list of priorities. BUT, if you want to do it by the book.. either drain the fuel and run the engine until the fuel is out of the line.. or better yet, put in an additive and run it through the fuel lines.. the kind that keeps the water from separating out of the petrol.  You can also add it to the gas left in your can for the winter.  

I'd be worried about running the engine without the fuel filter fitted correctly.  If it's anything like mine, it's likely that bits of grass and dust drift in each time I open the tank.  

Utah, USA.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,933

I didn't mean for the OP to use it with the filter out - just to see if it continues running. I always put the filter lid back on after starting it and before using it. If the engine keeps on running with the filter off then the filter needs cleaning. A simple way to check.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Probably the fuel filter but another possibility is the small vent hole in the top of the fuel filler cap being blocked, this causes the drawn fuel to create a part vacuum stopping the flow.

• I had a similar problem some time ago and it was caused by the fuel gunking up The carb.   Try taking the air filter off and scrunching up a plastic bag and holding it over the filter housing.  Try to  start it and hold the scrunch bag in it till it runs.   Failing that it's to the garden machinary centre to get the lots flushed through and cleaned.

The best way to avoid it happen as is mentioned above.  Run it dry at the end of the year.