Forum home Fruit & veg

Raspberries & blackberries

JB9JB9 Posts: 1

i would like to grow raspberries & blackberries but don't have much space and I was wondering if they can be grown in pots, has anyone tried this? What size pot would be needed and what compost?

• I know this may sound silly but if you can ensure somehow that the roots can get into the ground beneath the pot they are as productive and far more easy to manage.

My best blackberry plant was grown this way and has been for the last few years,when compared to its mother plant romping away lots of leaf with little fruit in the open.

I have also sited my potted plant right next to a current compost bin so it drinks liquid washed down into the bottom of the compost bin.

Only downside is that it tends to throw next years shoots into the bin , but easy to spot and eliminate.

The pot is a five inch plastic and last year three people picked enough for their needs through the summer and winter . Just loads and loads .

I have mine draped round an apple trees branches which is a foot away very nice and easy to pick. Also no worries about competition from apple roots it seems.

Sometimes I give it a feed and water the five inch pot but very seldom.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Ive got a blackberry in a big flexi trug i punched holes in for drainage. I would just say be careful of which variety you choose, despite having a pot big enough for a tree, this one seems to need constant food and water to fruit properly, i also had to construct an enormous fan shaped trellis for it to grow up!

I have seen rasps specifically bread for pots which may be a better option image
  • BoaterBoater Posts: 241

I have raspberries in a half barrel, they seem to do OK, although still getting properly established. I do feed them at the appropriate time.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I have raspberries & blackberries in tubs about a foot by foot & a half they will need that size but u will have to watch the BlackBerry roots doesn't come out of the bottom & water a lot.
  • LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

According to Hessayon Summer ones are not suitable. My Glen Coe are 4m tall. Autumn fruiting canes can be grown in a large tub. 

Incidentally frozen raspberries are cheap at Aldi and they are very good quality. Not the same as fresh off the plant though.