Raised beds

Hello, I have a shed that I am taking down as it is getting old and I want to re-use it in my garden I was thinking about making some raised beds from it, would it be strong enough to hold the compost? Would love to know what people think, any advice etc. Thanks in advance!! 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,022

How thick is the timber Flower Girl?  Ideally, you want 25mm (an inch) or more for it to last a reasonable amount of time.  If it's thinner, you could always double-up the planks.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • GillianBCGillianBC Posts: 121

I have 4 raised beds that were made from gravel-boards and two are still good after 10 years or so.  They're about an inch thick and I often sit or stand on the sides of them to plant stuff.  If it's less than an inch thick, then it's still worth doing with the reclaimed wood even if they only last a couple of years.  Two of the beds got trashed when some logs were heaped on top, but I've saved the good wood to make smaller planters (when I get around to it).

• BobTheGardener isn't that thick about quater inch, I did think about doublingg it up, but I didn't know if it would hold. GillianBC have thick is gravel board? thats a good idea, I have my raised beds in blue boxes, you know the things to put your recycling in for the rubbish sprays I reused them that way! 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,022

Gravel boards work well.  These days I use decking planks as they are a bit thicker and work out the best value for money (Wickes often have large discount offers on decking - worth waiting for.)  Both are pre-treated so will last longer than untreated wood, such as that used in pallets.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Would wicks cut it to size for me though? And are they cheap! 

• B&Q have a deal on this weekend £2 each and they have a cutting guy just by the outside builders yard. image