First swallow of the summer!

Our first swallow has arrived!    He came yesterday and again today.   Roll on summer!   (Yes, I know the saying, but I can hope, can't I?)   Actually, we are having a pretty good taste of summer already here.

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    No swallows here but the warm sunshine has been very nice.
  • cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

African or european?

• Here too in hampshire yesterday. Saw 2 so must be summer.image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,331

Saw my first one last Thursday - quite a surprise as it swooped over the grass in front of me - and the second one the following day. Two swallows definitely must make a summer!image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FritillaryFritillary WiltshirePosts: 445

Our first swallow arrived last Friday. We now have a pair roosting by their old nest. They get shut in at night and I have to go out early to let them out.image

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,534

I saw a pair on Tuesday, on telegraph wires over the garden up here in Aberdeenshire.  Then yesterday the Martins started arriving.  Swallows usually arrive back here around April 15th each year, so this pair were 6 days 'late'.  Not bad, considering the long flight they've had.  They'll move further north, and the resident ones - of which we have many dozens - will follow on their tails ( almost literally! ) and start nesting.  Roll on summer!

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!
  • Northerly winds may have delayed them perhaps. More food available now.
  • Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,534

Yes, agree, Woodgreen wonderboy!  The numbers of midges and gnats seem to have increased just a few days before the swallows arrived.  They're not daft, are they?

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!
  • OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Cairnsie, I had to go online and make sure, because to me it's just a swallow!   According to Wikipedia, it is the barn swallow, correct song, correct colouring and correct tail.   Does that make it the European swallow?

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

lol i was joking its a monty python joke. Im not sure lol