cucumber question

Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 3,941

Hi all.  This morning when I checked my seedlings I noticed that my cucumbers have a thin white edge on the seed leaves.  They are about 3" tall and have two large seed leaves one similar size true leaf and one small true leaf just showing.  I am wondering if this is normal or am I over/under watering? 

This is the first time I have grown cucumbers, they are currently living in my east facing conservatory and have plenty of light, I keep the compost damp (not soggy) and put a plastic cloche over at night to keep them warm (I forgot one evening and the next day they were a bit floppy but have been ok since).

The white edge isn't shrivelled or dry, no bugs and the other leaves are dark green and healthy.  I'd love to hear any tips for a cucumber newbie, thanks.

• clkclk Posts: 95
    Please may I jump on the cucumber bandwagon. I grow cucumbers (about 3rd or 4th year now) but still don't feel as if I know what I'm doing. They produce lots of cucumbers but gangle about in all directions and later in the year the leaves go pale and the plants look really unhealthy. So, any tips would be great. Thanks.
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 3,941

Hi clk, hop aboard, happy to see another cucumber grower here. image

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,647

Could be too much moisture, Kitty. No plant likes permanently damp feet.

clk, most cukes are vines. They will gangle about in all directions because that's what vines do. If they produce lots, that's all that matters. Leaving aside diseases like mildew, to which they can be prone, the vines will gradually run out of steam towards the end of the season and take on an unhealthy appearance.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,535
    Italophile I agree and they could rot off at the base of the plant.

Thanks for the responses.  The plants are otherwise healthy with strong stems and leaves, potted in a free draining seed compost.

It was just the mysterious white edge on the seed leaves I was curious about, it's almost as if they were variegated.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,667

Could you post a good closeup picture?

Utah, USA.

Wow, finally after much faffing about it finally worked and even zooms in. The black specks were dirt by the way, I checked after seeing them on screen.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,647

Looks like excessive moisture to me. You can let them dry out within reason.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,667

Is it possible the edges of the leaves had water on them while in direct sunlight?  The magnification will sometimes 'fry' the leaf in spots.  Do you water from below or above?

Utah, USA.