Forum home Problem solving

Clearing snow...

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

I like to keep my driveway clear, simply because if you let the snow build up it can become difficult to get in and out.

I find it's a lot easier to clear freshly fallen snow, which tends to be light and fluffy.

If anyone has a leaf blower then that's a dead easy way, and effortless way, to clear fresh snow. Demonstrations...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVZiiJpB3EQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig63lz25sRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5prnWrWwz3M

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544

In Belgium it is required that householders clear the pavement along their housefront and this includes overhanging branches as well as snow.  The police can fine them if they don't.   Citizens are also required to have a family insurance which covers them for accidents on their porperty.

It would be good if we could, in turn, fine local councils who fail to grit roads when bad weather is forecast.   Our road had a thick layer of ice covered by snow after heavy rain froze and became snow in the night.  Lots of slips and slides and bent cars and shaken people.   

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,083

I agree Obelixx - I work for our LA, and the other morning our car park was like a skating rink because rain had fallen onto frozen tarmac, but apparently it didn't need gritting because it was raining!!! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Zoomer,  my Snowtraks came from Canada but I got another pair off Amazon,  also TJHughes sells them,  my local store in Middlesbrough reopened a couple of months ago they have them at £6.99,  have a look on Amazon,  what price safety.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=snow+trax&sprefix=snow+tr%2Caps%2C169

• Amazon told Commons public accounts committee last month that its sales were £2.9bn but paid tax of only £1.8m.  Would respectfully suggest giving business to your local area stores as much as possible and John Lewis, Debenhams etc. as firms more committed to this county's future so that money/tax stays in UK to fund schools health care (for gardeners) etc  

• .......  and should have mentioned taxes for funding public broadcasting joys: the BBC.

Anyway, shovel away the snow for the goodwill of it.  

• BenDoverBenDover Posts: 480
    As far as I am aware, the law has never been tested as to liability if you clear a public highway and somebody is injured by slipping on ice formed on a cleared surface. Any injured party would probably have to show you acted either maliciously or carelessly and that might be difficult to prove especially if you can show you were genuinely acting in good faith. Not withstanding that, over zealous and mean spirited local authorities may wish to throw their 'Elf and Safety weight around and claim your actions are causing a public nuisance, and forbid you from clearing public highway. However, if they did, then you have a right to remind them of their duty to public highways clear of all hazards!

It's different on your own land - visitors are protected by Occupiers Liability Act, so landowners must make reasonable effort to ensure the safety of visitors, meaning if you know somebody is going to walk on your land you must take reasonable action to clear it and then grit it, if necessary.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Thanks. The advise on the websites is very clear and I've changed my mind, I will go out and clear a path along the pavement, who knows it may encourage neighbours to do their fronts.

Aldi are selling bags of gritting salt for £2.99, a couple would probably see me through the winter.   

obellix. There's a scheme in our area called Street Pride...it could be a national thing... image. The council choose a street/day to give it a good clean, pruning tree's, etc and if you want your front garden tidying up they do that too, neighbours are encouraged to join in but most people on our road work, so not many neighbours were there on the big clean up day. We had to move cars by 8am. Our road is reasonably clean and tidy although we get lots of weeds growing through the cobbles by the side of the road but what a difference the council made. Not sure if they run the scheme over winter and following snow, we had a clean up at the end of November but if they do Street Pride over winter it'll get a big thumbs up from me.

The road running along side ours gets gritted, ours gets closed, me thinks usually after an accident because it's on a hill and off the beaten track. The car was snowed in for about 3 days last year but as it was needed for work, a neighbour helped reverse it out of the road and after that I parked on the 'A' road until the weather improved. It does make sense regarding car insurance not being valid if you choose to drive on a road closed.

Not had chance to check out the snowraks yet.  

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

image Just want to add when the original Q was asked, I was fully expecting to be in the UK  for the worst of the weather over the New Year and had visions similar to last year,slipping and sliding on ice but I'm now going to Tenerife.

It's along story but to cut to the chase, was asked a couple of days ago if I'd like to take the place of some who can't go, it wasn't a difficult decision to make and we've changed the flight names today so I'm going to climates warmerimageimage.

Your advise has still been good, I've friends coming down from Scotland after the New Year, staying whilst I'm away, and advised my road maybe closed off, they change their car tyres to a winter grip and are confident the weather conditions here in the NW won't be worse than Aberdeen.

• Hi zoomer,

To echo everyone else, if you want to clear the snow then it is appreciated by everyone. You will not be taken to court or sued for clearing snow and you are helping yourself, family, neighbours and the postmen. The tripe in the news a few years back is just scaremongering. No prosecutor will allow a lawsuit for you clearing snow. If you made ice deliberately by pouring on water to make ice then yes, but just clearing snow, then no.