Clearing snow...

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,935

After breaking a leg several years ago I religiously clear the snow off the paths in the front and back garden. It's not a chore, doesn't take long and I find it rewarding to be able to go out each day, walk up the garden without risk of breaking a bone to refill feeders and put out the rubbish.

I'd be happy to clear snow from the pavement in front of the house, if just to make it easier getting to the car each morning but was told if you clear snow from the pavement and someone slips you are responsible for any injuries they get, is this true.

Last year even the shops nearby didn't clear snow just put a sprinkling of grit down and it was perilously slippy after the snow froze.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,569

Hi Zoomer on the net Health and Safety say don't clear the snow as you open yourself up to liability, its just crazy you trying to help and maybe get sued if someone slips on it, we cant win sometimes matey i wont clear it except on my own property

Good luck

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

Frozen snow is easier to walk on than ice-as I see it you might be creating an unseen hazard-then yes you could be found liable and public liability insurance might not cover that

Far better to leave clearing of public pathways to the local authority-the only snag is you might have a long wait.image

• I'm like you Zoomer I clear the front path,  I don't drive but I do like to keep the path clear,  I was lead to believe that you can clear the drive/path as long as you leave it safe that's putting plenty of salt/grit to make it safe,  I fractured my ankle in 2 places last year slipping on black ice so needless to say I'm scared of going out with the dog when it's icy,  the snow doesn't bother me as I have 2 pair of those Snowtrax which stop you slipping,  they do work they are the best things ever invented.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,935

Alan/Geoff. You've confirmed what was thought and now I won't be clearing the pavement of snow. Snow does turn to ice, especially when well trodden, you can't walk up my road after the snow turns to ice and the council don't grit it although there is a council gritting box at the top of the road.   

Another Q.I live on a hill, 1min walk, tops, from the A6, After heavy snow fall last year the police closed several roads off with tape leading off the A6, mine being one, the tape appeared during the night so the following day wasn't able to drive off the road. Is it true your car insurance isn't valid if you drive on a road closed off and have an accident...ie slide into a car or hedge...          

• Get out, get fitter by helping ourselves and our neighbours.  Clear spaces to walk: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/get-ready-for-winter/out-and-about/the-snow-code

It's such a help!

Rain. I've invested in a good pr of boots this winter and have a pr of hiking sticks for when the snow comes. 

Rain. Checked out Snowtrax and like the idea. Where did you get then from and how much were they...

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

Zoomer on the insurance question-it might be dodgy-if you drive down a road against police advice-a bit like driving into a deep water ford-it might be considered you took an unnecessary risk-I would check the fine print-there maybe a get out clause.

If you want ice-grippers-check out e-bay there are loads available-got some a couple of years ago-not very expensive -under £5

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,792

That link by Maggie confirms what I understood - as long as we clear snow sensibly and don't do anything totally stupid that would make things more dangerous (like the shopkeeper I saw clearing the pavement with kettles of hot water image) then we''re not going to be successfully sued by anyone.  Those days are gone and judges etc are using their heads.  We live near the foot of a hill, and everyone here goes out with shovels and brushes and clears the pavement and each other's pathways and scatters the grit that is provided by the council.  It makes life so much safer (and we feel like a community too).  

It's time we used our common sense rather than kow-tow to the worry-guts and doom-mongerers in the newspapers who enjoy frightening the public by misinterpreting H&S.

I've found this on the Directgov website http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20121015000000/www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_191868 .  It can't really be much clearer can it?

And yes, ice grippers, yak trax, whatever they're called they're brilliant - just remember to take them off before you go into a supermarket or shop with a smooth  floor!

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

I totally agree Dove