Forum home Plants

can I plant now?

• Bill,

If you plant spiky things too close to the corner you have to think about innocent passers-by, rather than vandals. A customer has a berberis hedge in this situation and I have to trim it about five times every year to prevent injuries to small children from the thorns, people snagging their clothes, and so on.

• Hmmm, " click2order" - advertising? wrong post thread??? etc. Let's see what others think....

• Ignore last message - just moved on to Geoff's post on another thread , noted as spam or whatever image

• Chilli Lover...I love the wee growly face hehehe. I agree Verdan, the variegated variety is stunning as well. And Joe the Gardener has a very good point. You don't want little people getting hurt or pet owners with vets bills due to eye injury or infected cuts from spiky hedges.

• Sharper edges - to me this suggests "squarer" not pointy?

Berberis - help, there hundreds of them (well a lot).

Privot - isn' it too big/tall. Also wouldn't I have to loose all the flowers and berries to keep it in check?

My garden isn't raised like the one in photo. There isn't any chance that people will drive on it, but they walk on it, about a foot into it and every dog that gets walked past is a lead length in my garden!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,361

Hi Bill,  I see your problem.  People are lazy and will always 'shortcut' a corner like that unless you stop them with a hedge or tough shrubs.  Personally, I would go for a mixed 'wildlife friendly' hedge of 1 year old plants, which would come about half a metre tall, so (hopefully) have an immediate effect.  The main plant will be hawthorn and those are tough enough to survive if someone occasionally steps on one.  You want to plant the mix at about 5 per metre.  There are plenty of online suppliers - google 'wildlife  hedge' - the top hit found costs 63p per plant.  Once the hedge has grown a little, it will provide some shelter and you will find you can grow things behind it that would otherwise find it too windswept to do well.  In a few years you'll soon notice far more birds around, too.  It's win-win as far as I'm concerned!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • are you sure that name is festive and you haven't been dog racing in Springfield?

So forgive my ignorance, but isn't hawthorn huge? Can I maintain a hedge like this at 1m or less? I go to the local wildlife reserve and the hawthorn is 2-3m gih and forms huge "hedges". Of course it is left wild and unchecked.

Many thanks,

Bill

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,361

Heh heh - yes, it's a festive name but you know where I got the idea!  Most hedging shrubs will grow into trees if you let them, but you can keep them to 1m by regular trimming.  Hawthorn is relatively slow-growing, so isn't going to go rampant.  I see where you are coming from though.  One alternative is a slow-growing evergreen like cotoneaster, but it would be expensive as you probably need to buy potted individual plants.  Hopefully more folk will chip-in with ideas.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • The Mayberry or Hawthorn is a stunning hedge. Its berries give food to the birds and can also be made into wine as the flowers can. It is tradition to decorate the Mayberry on the Summer Solstice with garlands of flowers and ribbons. Its also known as the 'Gaurdian' in the tree world.

Beware of an Oak, It draws the stroke,  Avoid the Ash, It courts a flash, Creep under the Thorn, It will save you from harm.

Wee bit paganism about the Thornimage

• Guardian even