can I plant now?

I have cleared my garden after buying a new house. I got a planner to plan the shrubs and flowers (its my first garden!) so I didn't botch the job. It took several week though and then a couple more to respond and get replies. In the end it took a long time and now the ice has started. Very frosty every morning. Is it advisable to wait until spring or can I start planting things now.

I am desperate to get a hedge in to stop people walking over my garder (corning plot). I want to plant a buxus (small box hedge).

Any advice would be appreciated.

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

I would be very nervous to plant anything now. My soil is waterlogged and with the icy conditions forecast next week it would be very harsh conditions for most plants.

Have you bought the box? From experience I would go for something with sharper edges.image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,623

Unless the soil is actually frozen, now is a great time to plants trees and hardy woody shrubs, so I would go ahead.  As you mentioned Box, it might be wise to have a look around your area to see if Box Blight is prevalent:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=96

If, so the RHS link above also gives some alternative hedging plants which you might want to consider using instead.

Cheers - Bob (another festive forum name change!)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,515

Spring and autumn said to be good for planting evergreens. The dormant season, now, for deciduous, ny time when the ground isn't frozen or waterlogged. Not waterlogged may be a problem , certainly pretty saturated here and my soil isn't especially heavy.

I wouldn't be going for box, with or without the blight problem. Too small for too long, won't stop people walking if determined. A 3 year old box hedge up the road from me got driven over.

this is right around the corner from me. I haven't bought anything yet. If I could I'd have pyracantha for the birds/berries, but its a little high. Need just a barrier betweene garden and street. Also less than 1m tall...

Up on a raised area, it won't get driven over like that. You're right, pyracantha is too big, vicious to cut and then doesn't berry cos you've cut the flowering parts off. Scrooge suggests something with sharper edges. What about a berberis?, comes in deciduous and evergreen and various leaf colours. Can be clipped without upsetting it. Quite sharp to clip but not as vicious as pyracantha. You don't get many flowers and berries in any hedge clipped 1m, you're always cutting them off.

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,032

We used roses at a previous house to demark our garden/lawn edge. They could be planted between now & March if bought bare rooted. Flowers & thorns, pretty to look at & good at stopping footballs!

Berberis also came to mind- another neighbour on the same estate used that & kept it cut back to a lowish hedge height. Some are very thorny, some are evergreen, so lots of choice.

Boring mahonia aquifolium is as tough as old boots- used in carparks- but is evergreen, has flowers & fruit for the birds & can be kept hedge-like too.

Native hawthorn also a possibility- thorns, flowers, fruit & prunable. J.

• Privet is nice, gives a loverly scent which is heavy in the air, good for bees and butterflies and quick growing too. It would'nt get to high if you look after it either image Its not jaggy but you could mix a mayberry through it too which is jaggy