Forum home Talkback

Compost

Hi. Is it okay to put mushrooms in the compost bin? And what about leftover rice and used tea leaves?

Thanks!

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,478

Yep, that's all fine.  I find if you line your kitchen counter compost bucket with newspaper, and toss the entire thing into your compost bin.. it makes a good mix of browns/greens.  I also toss in toilet paper tubes, snotty tissues, paper towels (use common sense), torn up egg cartons, etc.  All our plate scraps either go to the dog (except for cooked bones) or into the compost bin (no meat or dairy).  

Utah, USA.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,521

I threw mushroom trimmings into my compost heap (an open one) and I now have beautiful mushrooms growing in the lawn.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,478

Pansyface- I wouldn't recommend "harvesting" the ones out of your lawn.  image

Utah, USA.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,521

Oh, they are the real MCoy.image My lawn is like a field and, in the old days before "Portobello" and "Chestnut" and all these fancy names, they used to be called field mushrooms. Only problem is they're a bit gritty sometimes.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • MMflowerMMflower Posts: 77

Thanks everyone for your replies. image

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I never understood why open cap mushrooms have now to be called Portobello. There are other silly names too, Crimini I think is one. Marketing bollards I think.

Generally mushrooms need a suitable substrate, and the mushrooms you buy are normally Agaricus bisporus which grows on a mix of rotten straw and manure. You will find many fungi growing on compost, originating from spores carried by the wind, or from houseplant compost from exotic climates. They will help break down woody matter. 

Used tea leaves and coffee grounds are fine. Generally fatty food and meats are to be avoided. 

• Tea is acidic. Would too much harm lime lovers?

• debs20debs20 Posts: 39

Would dried grass cuttings be classed as "brown" stuff?

I have too much to compost "green", mainly because I never seem to generate enough brown stuff. I usually buy a bag of straw but it does feel a bit like cheating...

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

debs20: If you have a small brewery locally, they might give away spent hops. I think it is more brown than green, not sure though.

I believe spent malt is sold to farmers as livestock feed.

• debs20debs20 Posts: 39

Thanks LeifUK...I've emailed a local brewery...fingers crossed.

Still need to know about the dry grass...