what kind of grit do the gardeners use in there potting soil?

what do the gardeners from gardeners world us there potting soil? It looks like a kind or very small stones about two to four millimeters .Is it a kind of grit ore something else? They also springel some of it on top of een potted plant. Are there better things i can use? what is the name of that product.?

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,200

Hi Dutch Ellen.

I lived in Groningen for a year working at the hospital. Had a great time

What I use is horticultural grit which makes a good draining compost and sprinkled on top also aids drainage and stops moss or algae growing on the surface.

Ku Klux Klan serve hot soul food and the band plays in the mood

• a very light grit not your road or gravel grit.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,231

alpine grit is good but hard to find (around here anyway) I went to the pet shop part of the GC and got aquarium gravel. Comes in various grades and colours and is clean.

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,825

For some plants I do use road grit, that is the 7mm. limestone stuff. Only for lime loving plants of course. even that is hard to get hold of though, in smal bags.

• nigel coad nice to kwow jou liked it in Groningen. I live at the other side of the netherlands, next to zeeland.

I have a question, where can i buy that?
  • can i use litter box grid instead?
  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,806

That is cat litter??-would not think soimage

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,825

No, it tends to fall to pieces when it gets wet and clogs up the compost. The grit is to help drainage not keep moisture in.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,200

I get my grit at garden centres but can also get from DIY stores and builders merchants

Ku Klux Klan serve hot soul food and the band plays in the mood

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,474

Hi Dutch-Ellen, try searching google.nl for "tuinbouw grind", which I think means 'horticultural gravel' in Dutch.  Also "moraine grind".  Look for a mix with quoted grain size mix of about 1 to 6mm (1/6) or 2 to 4mm (2/4) although you could get wide range mix (eg 0/8) and sieve (zeef?) it yourself. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.