planter box.

Finally got around to constructing this and getting some plants in, summer bedding to follow

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

that looks lovely image

• OldtykeOldtyke Posts: 155

Looking good!

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 1,783

How beautiful.. I love the tiered levels.  

Utah, USA.
  • GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,117

Don't forget some bulbs for spring next year.

• CurmudgeonCurmudgeon Posts: 38

5 weeks progress , things are coming on. Planting this year is a bit experimental to try and determine which plants grow best in the soil and location. Next year will be more refined image

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,117

A giant allium bulb dotted here and there and it will be complete.

• Green GranGreen Gran Posts: 24

I have a small front garden with flower beds on 3 sides, and a small lawn.  It has become really overgrown with clumps of perennials.  My husband had a stroke a few years ago, and i am finding it hard to keep up with the gardening.  I have been wondering whether I can afford to get rid of all the plants and grass, and put in a raised bed and some stones or gravel.  Yours looks very nice.  What kind of wood did you use?

Hi GG.

I used pressure treated 6"x4" softwood sleepers. They are lightweight compared to old oak ones and easy to work with. All timber merchants stacked them but after looking at all the prices on the web i found they were cheapest at the garden centre local to me, also the sort of place you negotiate a discount on.

• Green GranGreen Gran Posts: 24

I will do some pricing-up, when I've worked out how many timbers and stones I need.  If I DO dig everything up, I will have to try to find a home for the plants.  I absolutely hate throwing good plants in the compost bin.  I'm a real softy, who transfers slugs to the common land opposite my house, and rescues stranded worms from the pavement.

Thank you for your help, and good luck with your own garden.

GG

Thank you.

Unfortunately this is North facing and the cold weather and strong winds are holding some things back.  Begonias are still there but quite small .  The New Zealand Impatiens though are definitely not enjoying life at all, they are not making any growth, will not be on next years list. The ground cover planting , Bacopa etc are all going great guns . Perhaps the rest will put a sprint on when it finally warms up a bit.