Forum home Wildlife gardening

Plants for ponds

Hi everyone, this is my first post so bear with me, please.

As I moved recently to a house with a garden area just with weeds, I decided to create my first garden from scratch, dedicated to wildlife, and I want to build a pond.

Unfortunately, I cannot find aquatic plants anywhere, and I even asked at the local freegle and freecycle if anyone had them.

No such luck, and I cannot find a reliable place to buy them online.

Can anyone advise me where could I buy online some plants to ad a pond to my garden, please?

Thank you for reading image

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

Puddleplants.co.uk

I;ve used them and was quite happy.  Also a place  called Waterside Nursery I haven't used and someone was saying one of the wildflower sites also does them.

• Thank you Watery, I will take a look right now image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,275

Yep as Watery says puddleplants is a great site image

Also if you want native water plants try http://www.wildflowershop.co.uk/index.html 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144

I got mine from ebay, all guaranteed by the site, but I have never been let down.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666
    Puddleplants.

Smaller plants that will establish nicely.

Local maidenhead aquatics.

Bigger plants at higher prices. But will flower this year.
  • Thank you all, you really helped me image

• janebaljanebal Posts: 130

Got a lovely white blooming caltha from Puddleplants last week (after reading about them on another thread on this site) Caltha are very good for insects. Also got a small red  water lily for small ponds and some white and pink for-get- me not for the tadpoles to hide in - they are certainly gathering all round it's roots. All the plants were in good condition, well wrapped and able to go straight in the pond. I will use them again because their stuff is good quality.