Forum home Garden design

growing plants over a shed

I am thinking of growing something up the side and over the shed, it seems like unused space to me.

I am after some recommendations please. ideally nothing that needs too much work and preferably evergreen although that's not a deal breaker tbh. and of course something that wont damage the shed.

the site is more or less south facing and gets plenty of sun if that helps.

thanks

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,763

I think Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) looks amazing grown over a building.  Not evergreen.. but it has an amazing fall display of color, and the fact the leaves fall off give you a chance to check out the building yearly for any issues.  It's very low maintenance and will not damage the structure.  

Utah, USA.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,454

Ive just planted a clematis to grow up and over my shed, the one I chose isn't evergreen but there are evergreen ones available.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • jpsbcfcjpsbcfc Posts: 50

thank you both, is Virginia creeper likely to spread and cause any issues or is it easily kept under control?

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

chocolate vine? grows like stink and has nice flowers and berries

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,763

Virginia Creeper doesn't spread too badly, usually through contact with the soil or occasionally through seeds.  It's easy enough to prune and tear off a long vine.. but beware, the sap can cause a skin reaction if you're sensitive.  I've never had issue, but some people do.  Just wear gloves and long sleeves. It's not a super aggressive plant, but it will cover your  building in a few years if conditions are in it's favor. 

Utah, USA.
  • I 'rescued' a climbing rose from the bargain corner of our garden centre.  It was weedy and tangled, and I took pity on it, planting it by my shed.  The tlc paid off to such an extent that it started growing like Jack's beanstalk.  It had masses of lovely little cream flowers, but I could almost see it growing.  Branches would arch out and snare people walking past.  No matter how many chunks I chopped off, it just kept on going, and even pushed its way under the roof edges to get inside.

We bought a new, bigger shed last year, and were forced  to dig out the rose.  Sadly, it hasn't survived the move, but it had a very happy life for many years. RIP. image

• jpsbcfcjpsbcfc Posts: 50

thanks for all the replies, we went to the garden centre yday to look at the climbers. there was an offer on climbing roses, £9.99 each or 2 for £12 but they didn't seem to have any climbers left.

when I asked for help they came back saying they had no more stock but there were some climbers out the back that were £12.99 but she would let me have them for £3.

in the end she priced them at £2 each and gave me a clematis for £1!

all of them needed dead bits trimming off but they all seem healthy enough underneath, the clematis has 2 long shoots that seem to be healthy so I have repotted that and will keep an eye on it. assuming they all grow I feel I got some proper bargains!

the roses iirc are called elantra,they are red climbing roses anyway.

• I hope they give you as much pleasure as my bargain did.  I bought a lovely purple clematis in Aldi this morning, for a shady corner in my garden.  It was £5.99 and sounds just right for the position I have in mind.