Wildflower gardening

I want to dig up my small front garden and re plant a wildflower meadow. It's probably about 2m square. What I'd really like to do is plant a cherry tree or similar in the middle and spread wildflower seed across the rest but I've never attempted anything like this before. I've had a look for seed but there are so many different mixes and ratios of grass to flowers. I was sure of my idea but now I'm so confused!!!! Please Help!! 

Darren

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi Dazza image

The first thing you need to do is find a picture of what you want it to look like, post it on here and the guys will tell you what it is and how to do it image
  • Thanks bekkie.

This is the look, I want to go for. Dense displays of flowers as Apposed to lots of grasses. Perhaps with a few more white flowers thrown into the mix. With a nice tall tree in the middle to give the garden a focal point. Is this a realistic aim??

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823
    With a small amount of space available you are probably better off going for a cherry tree like prunus amanogawa which is upright in form. It will tend to hog the space though.

The wildflower cornfield mixture from Mr Fothergills might fit the bill.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,089

There are several meadow types, I think Certs' suggestion is good, no grass. The ones that grow in grass are different flowers, less colourful and more difficult to establish. 

Your pic isn't a native UK wildflower mix but who cares, it's pretty and the bees will love it. Only drawback might be the tree, these plants are sun lovers.

• The trees I've seen aren't huge and don't provide much shade. It may do in a few years but I imagine my tastes will have changed by then. I've found these seeds pictured do you think they will be any good? I would prefer native uk ones for wildlife :-/ 

There are non-natives in both. If you search for uk native wildflower mix you should find a selection. I wouldn't worry too much about native. Borage isn't native but the bees love it

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I agree with Nut a mix which has some non natives in wont hurt, are you making a wood pile or a little pond, both would bring tons of wildlife in image

Ive used a few of these mixes, the ones without grass seem to be the best for me, on saying that, if i was to attempt it again i would buy single varieties and sort of mix my own, a pre done mix is a good way to start tho, you can keep a note of the things you like. I would reccomend getting some phacelia tanetifolia (sorry for the spelling!) The bees here love it image
  • I'm going to sound really dippy now but I hadnt even thought of mixing my own!! That's  probably a much better and much cheaper way of doing it than the pre mixed ones. Could you recommend a selection of seeds? I'm not hot on the names but I can google and eBay them!! Lol. I'm already growing cornflowers and cosmos in the back garden image 

In your posted picture I can see cornflowers, eschscholzias, field poppies and calendula  The yellow further back is probably corn marigold. 

Borage is good as well and the phacelia that bekkie mentioned. They're all annuals and you'll get flowers this year.

Cornflowers come in white if you want more white, 

• That's great!! Thank you. I'm def going to do my own mix! How much do you think I'll need? My garden is roughly 2x 2.5/3m wide.