Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Couch grass

great solution! thanks

• I remember watching the programme and seeing an alternative to furniture oil but can't remember whether it was vegetable/sunflower/olive oil. I have just bought some wooden furniture so would like to start the way I mean to go on!! Any help out there? Cheers Kate
  • Our alltoment is inundated with mares tail, how can we destroy this pest of a weed?
  • A few years ago it was possible to buy a weedkiller that only killed grasses and didn't affect the plants growing around it, then it disappeared from the shelves! It was brilliant but now my garden is filled with this grass again - impossible to dig it all out. My son suggests napalm - anyone got any better ideas?
  • in areas where herbicides aren't a viable option, cover the ground in dark rags, cloths, or even bin liners, remove sun light from any plants equation and it can not photosynthesise this will starve the plant and kill it outright
  • Or it could be used to make an organic spray for blight.

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894
    weeding couchgrass can be a soothing event-its easy to drop into a reverie and then the sudden intensification of interest as you follow a thread 4 or 5 feet thru the garden and discover all the things those hard sharp stems have pierced
  • We have an uncultivated plot of land that is infested with couch grass. Digging it over and removing it will take forever and a day and we'd like to get it sorted this year so that we've got a garden.
    We'd prefer not to use a weedkiller and wondered if rotovating it would make it easier to remove or would we be making the problem worse.
    Any advise would be very welcome.
    Thanks
  • Couch grass was the bane of my life! I dug the garden several times and got lots of it out but it kept on coming up, it ruined every new lawn, so in the end I put a liner down and fake grass! It always looks nice!!!  No more couch grass or weeds either image I have a narrow garden and it has lots of curves--I hate straight lines so mowing it wasn't easy anyway, so now I can enjoy the garden anytime! image

• Jennifer Revell wrote (see)
     We'd prefer not to use a weedkiller and wondered if rotovating it would make it easier to remove or would we be making the problem worse. Any advise would be very welcome. Thanks

NOOOOOOOO!!!! Don't rotovate couch grass - you'll only propogate lots more!

I took over an overgrown allotment some years ago and managed to get rid of the scutch in one half by methodically digging it with a fork and removing the roots as I went. Use a fork as the roots are quite stringy and will pull out if you can get a hold. A spade just chops them up and makes it more difficult imho.

The other half of the allotment I used roundup as time was getting on. and this worked just as well. Sometimes I think you just have to give in and use it.

The following year a new tenant in the disused allotment next door tried rotovating without weedkilling first. It looked really impressive to begin with, but like a meadow two months later.

• image I pulled out a lot of roots too, but it can't be helped when you dig whether you go through some of them and even a tiny bit that breaks causes more to grow, yes I was fighting a losing battle, it was enemy number one, I got obsessed going out there to pull more out and made the grass bald in the process..! I never thought of roundup..

So in the end it beat me, and now none grows at all because I faked it! :0)