What have I got

I moved into a flat a couple of years ago. The garden was very overgrown but had some good, well established plants. I haven't been able to work out what one of them is. It seems to look very similar to a blueberry bush, it is deciduous but the flowers aren't quite right and the fruit Seems maybe a bit too dark for a blueberry. The leaves go a wonderful red in autumn before they fall. Leaves - green to dark green, almond/spear head shaped, turning to bright, copper and red colors in autumn. Flowers - white with some pink but very very small. Well loved of insects, no dicernable scent, lots of middle and not much petal. Fruits - dark purple/blue with a bloom, hangs onto the bush for quite a long time, doesn't seem to be eaten by wildlife (making me think it's almost certainly poisonous). On the inside they are white and almost fluffy with seeds. Habit - the plant is a little over 1.5m high, lots of bushy growth in multiple stems from the ground which branch but all point upwards. I was wondering whether it could be a blueberry which is struggling to produce the right flowers or fruit because it's not being looked after properly but the plant in general does seem very healthy and vigorous (bit of a long shot/hope I suppose) I took some photos but I'm not sure how to upload them here. If I work it out, I'll post them! Can anyone help me??? Thanks a million for any suggestions.

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 379

Not sure what it is, but it's not a Blueberry

• No, I thought probably that was a long shot. 

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 10,022

The tiny flowers remind me of pyracantha or cotoneaster, but they have red, orange or yellow berries ( fruits ) and their leaves ( which are MUCH smaller than these ) do go a lovely bright red in autumn.  Fascinating mystery!  Someone on the site will solve it for you!  All the best with it!

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 3,662

Sorry Benjamin I'm not sure what it is either but I just wanted to say that your description & photos should be the template for how everybody should ask for a plant ID - good clear pictures & every aspect of the plant leaf, flower and habit covered. I'm sure somebody will be able to ID it for you before long..

Nutcutlet is usually pretty good at these things image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Thank you Brenda.  I haven't been able to find anything which looks just right so far, so i hope someone will be able to help me.

• Thanks Topbird.  I do my best!!

• I've wondered whether it might be a type of huckleberry as well. But again, just not quite exactly right.

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 10,022

Could it be a chokeberry, Benjamin?  Arunia pruniflora.  Height up to 3 metres, good red autumn colour and black berries which CAN be eaten but not until they're fully ripe as they're rather bitter.  Can be made into jam.  I think your mystery plant could be this!

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞
  • Hmm, that is certainly a strong contender! Thanks Brenda.

It looks like it might be the Nero variety.

The only thing is that the flowers never get to the delightful blooms on the web but I'm going to look up the care instructions as I think it might be that its lacking the right feed and care.  I don't think I'll eat the berries until I'm a sure... although i could do with losing some weight! (Thats not serious for anyone worried about my health! I'm not a reckless berry taster)

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,563

Not sure about chokeberry (Ariona) as the flowers and fruit are more bunched - here's a pic of one of mine:

It might be one though or something closely related as the leaves do turn to fantastic orange & red shades in the Autumn.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.