Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Garden foxes

1235»

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

the foxes are probably asking 'Anyone know how to stop houses being built on our patch?'

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,355

Jeyes fluid is attractive to cats but results in an agonising and painful death.  It's dangerous to use it in that way. 

It's the time of year that foxes are spreading out, claiming new territory and mating ... that's probably why the incidence of poo has increased.  It'll probably become less evident soon ... all part of living in the countryside which is their territory after all.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for your swift response Nutcutlet. At first, all my neighbours including myself did indeed assume it was dog pooh but on further consideration there is just too much of it and it is spread over an area of 1sq metre approx and nor is it in one large mound the way dogs do it. Also, lots of foxes are picked up on cctv, not actually pooing but certainly very active.

Thanks again, any further help you can offer will be much appreciated. 

Kind regards, Pat

• I think you are probably on a losing wicket Pat.

If the houses were built on an area which was frequented by foxes, then the faeces will become more obvious - even wildlife has to "go" somewhere after all.

Once humans move into an area, the housing and necessary infrastructure cuts down on free space and any wildlife becomes more obvious.  I'm sure you are a conscientious householder but along with the influx of humans comes the inevitable detritus - including food waste in one form or another. Foxes are opportunistic ( like us ) and will stick around wherever there is free food and a reasonably comfortable living.

With 150 new households, a bit of community spirit in the form of removing the offending bits should be easy to accomplish.  

A few Trail cameras in strategic spots may also be good - you can enjoy watching the foxes to make up for having to Scoop the Poopimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,355
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks Dovefromabove, that is really helpful. Because of the way the deposits are spread around I am thinking it may even be a large family of Hedgehogs out on their nightly stroll. Very helpful indeed, I have saved the link and will share with my neighbours and similar like-minded friends. 

• Thanks Phillipa Smith2. I think you are right, we have cut down their habitat yet they still need 'to go' where they would have gone before. The benefits of living in a beautiful rural area far outweigh the task of cleaning up after 'the special neighbours...'  Thanks again for replying.