Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Garden foxes

• Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

We have the small roe deers (? here they are called chevreuil) barking and whoofffing all around us.... our first nights here had a certain Jurassic Park atmosphere, before we figured out what's what! image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,656

We have foxes here too and I have to say I like them. But I don't keep chickens. If I did then my attitude would be very different. Also, if they were diseased I wouldn't be very keen to have them around. But a young, lithe, healthy fox is a delightful thing to watch.Our pets don't form part of the fan club but I think it's the foxes' smell that they find offensive.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Bushman2Bushman2 Posts: 548

lovely deer they're small like mutjak. its amazing how the woods come alive at night and early morning. My favourite time of day is just as the sun is rising and everything is quiet, superb time to be out and about. 

• SQSQ Posts: 17

We have foxes too, but the biggest problem is the deer. They eat just about everything. Around my new rockery/flowerbed, after they had eaten all of my Lupins, and Asters, I read that white vinegar is a good deterrent. So I took some old yogurt pots, filled them with the vinegar and although there have been tracks, everything survived, perhaps the smell was enough.

It might work with the foxes, as it has also kept my cats off that part of the garden too.

• DianaWDianaW Posts: 59

I'm trying chilli powder on the worst-affected areas first, because the worst of this invasion is having ever more bits of the recently-cut lawn grubbed up and fouled. (Avoiding that is clearly another reason for letting the grass grow long in a drought, but it looked SO messy...!) Buying it by the kilo is reasonably cheap in the local Turkish supermarket.

As I don't own the relevant fence and haven't any easy way to get electric power down to that end of the garden, an electric fence would be much harder to achieve - and it would hurt far more cats than foxes. I very much doubt that electrified fences are allowed in inner-city areas anyway; I've never heard of anyone installing one around a London garden.

Diana, I don't know how large is the part you need to fence, but You can easily feed an electric fence with small batteries. They sell such kits for dogs, and I know they worked beacasue I used one when I was travelling with my horse. To keep the horse in, not to keep foxes out image

You might want to ask of course, but I doubt you would have trouble with the authorities, these are not prison fences, you won't get electrocuted by it, they just "pinch". I have electric fances all over the place for my ponies (solar powered), and the cats don't mind image

I envy you for the cheap by kilo chilli powder... I love spicy food! image

• DianaWDianaW Posts: 59

Thanks, but I'm not convinced. I accidentally encountered one of those fences (intended to keep in sheep) once, while out walking in the Highlands, and the "pinch" was unnerving even for an adult human.

While I've no objection to annoying the fox - although it's apparently illegal to cause the creatures suffering, as opposed to just killing them cleanly - I'd be bothered about hurting anything else that kind of size, which is just as likely to be my own, already beleaguered, cat as an intruding animal.

Oooooh, these fences can be put on different "pinching levels" and the sheep pinch is the toughest, because the wool is such a good insulator so you need to zap them good or they won't even notice... ouch for you! It's a much lower voltage for horses and assorted beasties!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,656

Jo!image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Anyone know how to stop foxes fouling footpaths? I live on a new development of 150 houses  close to open countryside and we are getting more and more pooh on the footpaths. Although it doesn't (always) look like typical fox pooh there is too much scattered over a square metre or so area. I have heard Jeyes fluid works so we will try it and see what happens but any advice in the meantime would be much appreciated. Thanks.