Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Garden foxes

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,918

I've seen urban foxes go over my 6 foot fences with consumate ease, so although I'm sure barriers are not a deterrent, I wish I knew what was.. 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I have a fox hole at the bottom of my garden, I have filled it with bricks and rubble several times and they just dig out again. Trouble is, its a large garden and the foxes den burrows under several adjoining gardens, so even if I did manage to block mine, they would just hop over a fence. I once caught a fox eyening up my Giant rabbit who was sitting by my dog, who was watching the foxes every move until they got to close then she chased it off and went back to protect the rabbit. My dog does as she's told so if she does bolt after a fox and I tell her to stop she will stop dead and just voice her opinion at them. Now she will come to me first if theres a fox so I can act before she does and let her know what I want her to do.. OOhh, and no cats either.. 

• you need a fence that is 6 ft high but also bends outword like prison fence arches in.

• last summer,a fox came into my garden and pinched my shoes that i had left out side on the patio...!!!

i could see him/her running into the woods with my shoes in its mouth....he dropped 1 but i could reach it...

its funny now but not at the time...
  • Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    Where I live with logging forests we have had vans pull up at night and release urban foxes into the wild, they are urban foxes and do not survive here, they have been fed often by people thinking they're cute. They are destructive , I do see them daily walking the dog , she sees them off but knows when to keep away...often a growl/cry from the forest as we pass usually when mother will have her cubs .
  • Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    .....And the the dog rolls in fox poo.....stinking stuff image
  • aboloshing hunting hasnt improved the problem fox numbers were at least kept down before the ban

• I'm not sure I agree with that muddy, fox hunting would have had to kull many many hundreds a year to make a difference. I am slightly inclined to believe that fox hunting created a natural preditor of the fox, where would you move if there was a natual preditor, away from it of course, in to the towns and cities where there are no preditors and your numbers can rise unchecked, until the point where you are the top natural preditor in that area and become brazen enough to come in to houses and try to take babies (dogs or cats would fight back). There is a constant source of food for foxes in cities. People think they are cute and let them walk up to their houses and after all, once a fox gets used to that whats the difference between that house and the one next door with an open entry to a fox? While I am neither for nor against foxes I am inclined to think that we need to teach them that towns and cities are not safe havens for them. After all, would we have the same discussion if they were wolves.?

• There is a constant source of food for foxes in cities

Yes, this is a large part of the problem. A clean and rubbish-free environment would be much less appealing, and in specific areas where there are large groups of them being a nuisance (as opposed to the occasional sighting) it is already allowable for licensed killing.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

There was a poster on this forum who complained about foxes in their back garden-she liked to see them so she fed them but just wanted them at the front image

Now if people cannot get how silly that attitude is and remove all food sources this will problem will never go away

Any one who watched Top Gear last Sunday will have seen a fox filmed walking across the pitch at 4 in the morning-there is a food source there -why go elsewhere?image