Forum home Tools and techniques

Gardening glove suggestions?

Evening all, I'm looking to stop wearing out several pairs of cheap gardening gloves a year and wanted suggestions for comfy and good quality ones. I'm not adverse to spending to get a really good pair. Maybe two, one for general use and one for thorny situations!

Recommend away!

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 965

Gold leaf ones for thorns - worth the money esp. when I cut my hawthorn hedge. Wish I had bought them years ago.

• I've seen those, and indeed bought some for a friend for xmas!

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189

I'd like to know the answer for a good pr of general purpose one's.

I use hard wearing builders gloves for brambles and prickly jobs which does the trick.

Sorry I can't help further.

• FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

Other people for thorny stuff lol

i was given a pair of Brierley gloves and they are the best I've ever had. And I have a lot

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189

Gold leaf are the only gloves endorsed by RHS...

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,651

Town and Country make good ones.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,121

Think thats what I have Zoomer. The only problem I have is if they get wet, you end up with yellow fingers and they look like you are a heavy smoker.

• ebay...gardenersdreamuk

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I just use those cottony ones that look like theyve been dipped in rubber, i like that i can wash them after each use image
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,762

I'm with Bekkie on this one. I have some Nitrile Palm ones with quite a thick coating, but prefer the Showa ones. The coating is thinner, which means that you can feel to weed  or handle plants, the cotton lets your skin breathe so you don't get sweaty. They are amazingly durable, it took me nearly a year to wear out my last pair, even though I grubbed out a whole long bank of shrubs (honey fungus!) while wearing them. If it is wet, I also use surgical gloves for weeding just to keep clean. They are quite cheap at the local farm supplies and can be used more than once with care.