Forum home Talkback

Help growing wildflowers

Hi everyone, We have a new house which had an overgrown rectangle of garden at the front. The soil was mossy and there was general weeds like doc leaves, dandelion (plus these tall growing shoots which flower pink and are really easy to pull out - they grow EVERYWHERE though, even in cracks in walls). There was also some marsh like grass. We've just dug everything up and i really want to grow windflowers out there. The soil is not very deep and it's very rocky, I feel it's a bunch of rubbish earth they moved when building the house. Would the best thing to do now be to spray weedkiller, if so what type, and then after a few weeks put down fresh soil? When should I plant wildflowers? If I have to wait until next year what's the best way to stop the moss and weeds growing back? Maybe tarp? I'm completely new to this so any tips would be hugely helpful!

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907

You said you've just dug everything up?  Why do you need to spray?   I feel RoundUp is one of the less harmful weed killers, which also does a great job.  I'd put down a pile of fresh soil, then plant handfuls of wildflower seeds.. Just rake them in like grass seed.. Or plant them in an array of rainbow shapes.  You'll need to replant every year.  

Utah, USA.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,572

If you've had a weed patch, dug, sprayed or whatever, you'll have long term germination of more weeds. Sowing direct will give you the problem of sorting out which are weeds.  Dandelions and docks are great seeders and hard to pull out, if you don't get the whole root they come back. I think I'd wait and see what comes back after we've had a rain and things are growing. If you have regrowth of perennial weeds, spray when they've grown plenty of leaves. If it's just seedlings you can hoe them off.

What sort of wildflowers are you thinking of?

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi image

what sort of wild flowers are you hoping to grow? They dont need "good" soil. You will have a few generations of weeds in the soil which will come through, but i wouldnt think you need weed killer, just be very watchful, keep taking as much as you can off dock and dandilion, eventually they will die. If the ground has been left, then dug over as you say, you could already have all sorts of wildflowers waiting to come up, most like disturbed soil image
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Ooops, sorry Nut, didnt read your post properly- ive just repeated what you said! Think i need to go back to bed! image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,572