Forum home Fruit & veg

Novice veg grower

MeomyeMeomye Posts: 610

I got carried away at GC yesterday and decided I would 'have a go' at tomatoes and peppers!  I have 'Supersweet 100' and 'Sungold' tom's and 'Cute Stuff' peppers, they are approx' six inches high at the moment and in three inch pots. I was informed that the tom's will not require pinching out and that I should use large pots rather than grow bags. Please could you advise; when I should start feeding;potting on; what size pots (pref' in cm's or inches please, (don't quite get litres) ; should I be putting out in the day and bringing in at night etc. I have a warm conservatory I could put them in or an unheated greenhouse. image sorry for so many questions and any similarity to questions others have asked previously. Thankyou

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,773

Hi Meomye, that is a lot of questions, so apologies if I miss anything!

Tomatoes:  They will be fine in the 3" pots for now but when they are about 8-10 inches tall, plant them in their large pots, which should be about 10-12 inches diameter.  Plant them deeper than they are in the little pots - bury the stem up to the first pair of leaves.  Both of those varieties are 'indeterminate' aka 'cordons' and, contrary to the advice you were given, you do need to remove sideshoots which appear at the junction between the main stem and leaves.  See here:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/fruit-andamp-veg/tomato-side-shoots/661780.html

Do not start feeding until you see tiny baby tomatoes forming on the first flowering truss, then feed with tomorite or similar, diluted as directed on the pack but no more than once a fortnight, and don't water them until the top 1 inch of compost is completely dry or they show signs of wilting.  Over-watering and over-feeding are the two biggest mistakes that those new to growing tomatoes make - controlled neglect will reward you with tastier fruit and healthier plants!  Only ever water the compost, never get water on the leaves. You can grow them in the unheated greenhouse but I'd wait for a few weeks before putting them in there just in case it gets too cold at night - if you have a maximum-minimum thermometer, keep an eye on it and you are good to go when it doesn't get lower than about 6-7 degrees for a week.

Your peppers will probably be best in the conservatory as they are heat lovers and 8-10 inch pots are fine for them.  No pinching out of sideshoots and feed with half-strength tomato feed once a fortnight once you see the first flowers.  If the greenhouse is sunnier than the conservatory, move them into there once night-time temperatures aren't dropping below 10C. 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • MeomyeMeomye Posts: 610

Thankyou BTG for your informative reply, I will look forward to my home grown veg.image image

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Good answer from BtG. Sungold tomatoes are gorgeous. However, outdoors the threat is blight which killed mine last year before harvest. The greenhouse will reduce the threat. 

BTW if you let a side shoot grow a bit, you may be able to remove it then root it. I've never done this, just read about it! 

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I've rooted side shoots of tomatoes I think I put them into some water.

I grow chillies but they get green fly and very hard to get rid of, any suggestions.

My tomato plants are now approx 3ft high and have plenty of 'flowers' on them and I have been removing side shoots, but I am not sure whether I am supposed to be feeding or waiting to see baby toms first?   PS, my pepper plants are doing well and have wee peppers on them image

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Meomye if the first truss of flowers are set ie,little tomatoes then you can start feeding with a tomato feed once a fortnight and the peppers.

Finally saw a tiny tom so have fed. Thanks Logan