Bee watering hole

I read recently that bees like a drink, and a shallow dish with pebbles, kept moist, can provide this. Has anyone done this or something similar? I'm thinking of creating some permanent pots with maybe ramekins or teacups as bee watering holes, with nectar rich small plants like alpines. Alternatively, I could create a bog garden containerwith the same aims. Any thoughts or plant suggestions? Will need to keep it low budget!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,675

I think a bog garden container will be lovely - we watch bees, wasps and butterflies landing on the pebbles at the edge of our pond to take a drink - endlessly fascinatingimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 351

image Would a 30cm container be too small for a mini bog? A bog should have some advantages of a pond, but more child-safe!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,675

I think it's feasible - bigger would be better, but that would be fine - and at that size you need have no fears for child other than it will become obsessed with wildlife and grow into Chris Packham No. 2 - which can only be a good thing image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I have a shallow dish with gravel in it for that reason but I really like your idea of incorporating the "watering holes" into a planter. I've not seen the bees use mine.  They seem to prefer to take their chances in the dog's paddling pool (maybe because it's yellow?)

Interesting, Watery, I've also read they prefer water they can smell, eg water that is left to become green. Maybe they associate the smell of your dog with water!

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

Don't have a downpipe but I've taken the seal out of the lid so rain caught in the lid runs into the barrel.  Hopefully it means less filling with a hose pipe

I've drilled small holes in the dustbin lid, rain runs under the dish so two in one bright ideas 

The bird bath was porous so it solves that problem

Someone mentioned this shallow dish with gravel earlier so I've constructed these several situations which incorporate the idea and helps with other problems.  Mostly the problems are because I live in a small block of flats with no way of having an outside tap.  We do, however, have south-westerly winds which bring rather a lot of rain at times.  I also have a couple of bins under the edge of the outside stairs to the floor above but I don't put the water trays there

Some good ideas there! I just need to think about what plants to incorporate now.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

ive had a couple of weary bees here lately that looked like they were about to die, i soak a piece of kitchen paper in water with a little sugar on it and put it near them, they have a drink from it and away they go all refreshed image