Forum home Talkback

Grevillea juniperina- HELP!!!

I have a Grevillea plant that was beautiful when I bought it september 2013, very vibrant with a decent shape.

I planted it in a border, and it established well and grew quickly, kept it's vibrancy but was starting to impede on some of the other plants in the border, I knew then that I should prune but chickened out of giving it more of a 'clip'.

It is now looking very wild with some vibrancy, but quite a lot of dull woody stems.

Should I have pruned hard (as with lavender)? Is there anything I can do to fix the shape, or do I need to start from scratch?

I have attached an image as reference.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Hanniel

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,871
    I know nothing about grevilleas but if it was mine, I'd certainly cut out the dead bits. The plant can be pruned after it has finished flowering.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,450

It's not a plant that I grow - I don't think it's hardy enough for my garden - but this site gives some  information on pruning etc http://www.homelife.com.au/gardening/plant+tool/grevilleas,5348,

I hope that's helpful image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks very much for your advice. I cut out all the dead wood and have used stakes to support the central structure. It is looking much better already!

ALso Dovefromabove that plant tool is fantastic! Thank you.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,450

Glad it helped image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh