Forum home Fruit & veg

Advice on Cavolo Nero

AlxNicAlxNic Posts: 259

I grew Cavolo Nero for the first time last year (in the garden). I got a good crop but the plants were leggy and the stems were 'wonky'. 

Should I have staked them?

Any advice? I barely did anything to them except feed.... and pick off caterpillars

Trying to do better this year.

Thanks

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Cavolo Nero shouldn't need staking. It does best in cooler conditions. It's a late-autumn to winter crop here in Italy where winter gets seriously cold. 

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Alex my Kale stems were wonky, I just made sure they were anchored okay and just left them. You got a good crop so I wouldn't worry.  

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,793

I don't start my seeds off until well into summer and then plant out in autumn, and always get a good crop in the winter. Also I keep them netted until the butterflies have disappeared.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

I've had crops chugging along nicely covered in snow. Very sturdy stuff. Doesn't come back the next season, though. Bolts as soon as there's any warm weather.

• AlxNicAlxNic Posts: 259

Thanks for your advice. Maybe I started them too early - I don't suppose the strong winds here help.They were fine all through the winter - just growing at very odd angles.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    They need firming in well like cabbages,use chicken manure when planting with lots of old compost.If u plant them now u will harvest some late summer & through winter. I have trouble with slugs & snails, when I plant them out I cover them with 4 pt milk carton & put a layer of clean cat litter inside & out that works well.
  • AlxNicAlxNic Posts: 259

Thanks for the suggestion, Logan. Lots of slugs and snails in my garden, too.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    That's OK AlexX when they have grown up to the top of the container leave it their just cut the top off
  • arezzoarezzo Posts: 7

Hi, I have just planted out my healthy cavolo nero plants and holes have apeared all over the leaves , leaving the perimeter intact.  has this been caused by slugs and snails or something airborne?Novice gardener , would appreciate your help!

• arezzoarezzo Posts: 7

NB, maybe worth pointing out that I live in France ... please excuse the typos!