Forum home Talkback

Clematis

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

i bought some clematis plugs last year, grew some on in pots but planted 3 out...too early I think, 2 disappeared altogether and I thought I' d lost them but they've come up again, should I dig them out of the garden and grow in in pots til they're much bigger and can't be as eaten by slugs and snails? Or just try to protect where they aren't? It was slugs/ snails that ate them last year, thanks in advance for advice

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,045

I would just leave them where they are and put down slug pellets (or an inorganic deterrent if you are averse). I find slugs don't go for my clematis.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,086

I would dig them out and plant them in deep pots so their roots can run.  If they're big enough, plant them a couple of inches deeper than they were as this encourages the formation of extra shoots which will bear more flowers.   Grow them on till they're big enough to cope in the hurly burly of life in the border with competition, wind, rain and so on.

Use the best quality compost and add some proprietary clematis feed as these plants are very hungry and need lots of building up to get the best flowering display.   Keep them watered but not drowning and give them occasional liquid feeds of tomato or rose food.  

When you do finally plant them in the border, bury them a few inches deeper than they were in the pot to encourage more new shoots - also helps protect against clematis wilt .  They can take a year or two to get going once planted out and will need annual spring top ups of clematis food but are worth the wait and the bother.   Use organic slug pellets to protect the juicy new shoots in spring as slugs love them.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

thanks both for advice, i left one,put down bird friendl slug pellets, this is around 10 inches tall so should be ok, the other had literally 3mm of growth peeping out, it didn't look healthy at all, so I dug it up, and the roots were unbelievable, some broke off but there's still a really good root system , I put this in a pot nice and deep with a small bit of multi purpose feed, it still doesn't look alive above ground but fingers crossed it will recover ( I can't even remember which type they are, I think one may be guernsy cream, got 7 plug plants from t&m a year ago, fingers crossed!