Forum home Talkback

Plant or weed ID

Lena NLena N Posts: 189

Could anyone tell me what these are please? 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Aquilegia, Dog violet, one of the willowherbs.  All are wild flowers which could be considered weeds, mainly because they are all masters of self-seeding themselves everywhere!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • JanBiJanBi Posts: 11

1 and 3 are weeds, but not sure which ones.  Not sure about 2 - have some growing myself but the flowers look nice so I have left them.

Good luck

• Lena NLena N Posts: 189

Thank you! I've googled them and I think you're right Bob.

PS. I think they all look quite pretty so will keep them - don't tell anyone image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,229

I would keep the aquilegia, at least until it flowers and you know whether it's an attractive colour or not (some are a bit muddy-coloured).

I wuld keep the violets, whether or not they're a scented variety, just because they're so pretty and I picked bunches of them and put them in little jars on the school windowsill when I was a child.

Unless I had at least an acre of garden I would not keep the willowherb - the seed everywhere and take over everything - on the other hand, if yu do have a big garden they're fantastic food plants for some lovely moths.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks for the tip Dove. My garden is tiny so I'll dig the willow herb up! image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,553

I'm also looking at the grass type plants in with the violets. I think it may be pendulous sedge, attractive but invasive and huge in maturity.

What do you think Dove, Bob and Jan?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,229

I think you're right Nut - I think I'd take those violets out and transplant them somewhere so that I could get every last scrap of those sedge roots out image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ceninpedrceninpedr Posts: 47

Aquilegia are pretty flowers. They do cross pollinate so wait and see what colours you get. And they will self-seed, so pull up what you don't want.

The violets are lovely this time of year, and I like the leaf shape too. I encourage them in my garden - they are so small and dainty anyway, and don't take up much space.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Yes, well spotted nut & I agree with dove - move violets and dig-out the sedge. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Thanks Nut, we have an enormous sedge in the front garden and I hate it - I always wondered what it was. They seem to be everywhere in our village and keep popping up all over the place.

Looks like I've got a busy weekend ahead of me image