Forum home Wildlife gardening

Blue tits eating bees!

I have watched a few blue tits attacking bees on a clump of heather, they peck the bee and then carry it off.     Is this normal?     I have loads of bird food out, but they've taken a liking to the poor beesimage

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Are you sure they are bees?   Or could they be those bee mimic flies?

• No they're big fluffy bumble bees....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,144

Thats life in the wild, everything there fof something else to eat.

All my tadpoles have gone, food for newts.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I reckon you're right Lyn, such a shame because I know the bees are having a hard time at the moment........I notice lots just lying on my gravel after the sun goes down.

• Yeah, they'll catch them then rub the abdomen on a rough surface until the stinger comes out.

There's usually a lot of dead bees around at this time of the year. You have queens that have have come out of hibernation weak or diseased. Then you have the ones that buzz around looking for a nest and tire themselves out before they manage it. Probably just as well as we'd be swamped if they all survived.

• Hi Jimmy, I know the varroa mite has caused a lot of bee deaths and they need all the help they can get.    But I didn't expect this of little blue tits........I have a large purple heather outside my kitchen window and can watch them all from thereimage