Forum home Wildlife gardening

A present for the birds

SPECIAL OFFER!  Free bedding to prospective avian parents - guaranteed clean and soft!  

Our collie dog is moulting, so after a thorough shampoo and rinse she was brushed, and the hair came out in handfuls!   I put some into this fatball feeder, and the birds were onto it within the hour .   Such a joy to watch them tugging the hair out, and flying off with beaks full.  

• SFordSFord Posts: 224

I have been doing exactly the same and putting it in my bird feeders.  Great to think that some baby birds are snuggling up to 'Murphy fluff' when they hatch!

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Great idea OneofSeven.  Our last dog used to moult a lot but the birds just had to help themselves off the grassimage.  I once saw blue tits trying to pluck the fibres from a tennis ball that had been left outside.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270

I do that with the moss that I rake out of the back lawn - we have a never-ending supply!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pootlerpootler Posts: 95

Mine have a selection....... Border Terrier fluff, horse tail hair and shed body hair and some stuffing out of an old pillow!

I have seen the crows in the fields busily collecting sheep wool lying on the ground.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,467

My local birds help themselves to the fuzzy brown stuff that lines my fence baskets.

I've seen everything from jackdaws to the robins pulling tufts out, even the great tits that rarely come in the garden for some reason...Hopefully refills are available to buyimage

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i always comb my long hair when i wash it and always have a combfull that is rinsed and put out for the birds to take for nesting, they like wool apparently too 

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

When I used to cut my boys hair, I used to put it out for the birds, the blue tits seemed very keen to have it for their nests.

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

I've just watched a blue tit plucking a bit of old frayed string hanging from an arch in my garden. image

• AlidonneAlidonne Posts: 41

I have put up a hanging basket lining as I noticed last year they kept taking it out of the hanging baskets. The blue tits have been bs k time and again to collect the nesting material. I tried to put my dogs fur in but it was too fine and just blew awayx