Forum home Talkback

problem with peat free compost

Help I've found a strange looking fungus. Its on the new peat free compost i have French beans and lettuce just coming through .Its like little heads of pale orange/yellow it isn't on the normal compost in other pots .Shall I throw everything away. Thanks

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126
    I've had tiny toadstools growing in peat free compost before now and I've just removed them with a trowel. However, it rather depends what your fungus is so could you post a photo?
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,907

Is it an orange slime mold?  If so, just remove the affected area and toss it into your compost bin.  Is it mainly on bits of un-composted wood particles?

Utah, USA.
  • nannyskinannyski Posts: 10

Tiny looking toadstools a sort of pale orange. I phoned Westland today they said its saprocytic fungus and is a harmless organism that can show up on peat free compost. It has put me off using peat free I'm afraid I don't fancy keeping the pots in the greenhouse.I may not have the spelling correct.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,534

Its not going to hurt you or your crops, just pick it off.

I dont like peat free compost anyway,  but if you want to be 'green' just go with it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,045

Or rake it back into the compost.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,373

When peat free compost is as good as compost with peat, and the price is the same, I'll buy it, but not before.

Very bored with some folk ramming on about it. 

I remember the scare stories about " don't use soil based compost as the Surrey loam beds are being depleted" 

Devon.
  • LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

All compost can have fungi. It is simply an indication that there is organic matter in the product. You get fungi on pure animal muck, and on wood. In fact the fungi are beneficial as they are often breaking down woody matter. In fact part of the composting process is the breakdown of lignin in woody matter by fungi. You could just admire these beautiful organisms. In case they are poisonous, which is unlikely, you are best not to eat the compost. image And if someone says you can eat peat based compost, or that it tastes better, all I can say is phooey.