Will my garden be over run by frogs

Hello All.  I've recently moved into a house which has a large(ish) pond.  There are no fish in it - and very little other creatures from what I've seen so far. However at the moment it is heaving with tadpoles - probably thousands of them.

I'm wondering as there appear to be no predetors in the pond itself - will my garden be over run by frogs next year when they come back to spawn??  Would that be a bad thing?  Whilst I know a few frogs will be great - I don't want a huge pack of them (or whatever a group of frogs is called)

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,745

out of all that spawn you will only get a few surviving to frog stage. tbats why they lay so many eggs, 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,197

The internet says a group of frogs is an 'army' though the term most used in the text books is 'aggregate' of frogs. 

The common frog has the Latin name Rana temporaria, in means 'temporary frogs'. 

This refers to the way they are seen in groups when they breed but soon all disappear again after the short breeding season is over. So the 'pack' may return but only for a short while to breed.

The tadpoles when they metamorphose will disperse widely. Not coming back for two years in the case of the males and a whole three years for the females.

You may have some live in the garden most of the time. Lucky you, they eat slugs so welcome them by providing some overgrown ares that provide cover for them to hide in. image 

In all you can not have too much spawn, you can not have too many tadpoles, because as Lyn says few make it to being adult frogs and you want plenty of those to keep a population going over the years.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi Doogie, my garden is fairly over run with frogs, but its really a plus, they dont only eat lots of slugs but really keep the flies down, most of the time they keep out of the way like Gemma says, but when it rains, the whole garden is hopping. Its like having your own little pest control army image
  • Doogie72Doogie72 Posts: 62

Having my own personal pest control army sounds good.  I think we may have a hedgehog in the garden somewhere (although I've never actually seen it) so they should finish off any slugs the frogs leave behind!

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

I don't really see how you could have too many frogs. Best time to look for pondlife is at night, with a good torch, and as close to the water as possible (kneel or lie down, whatever's practical). If it's fish free you should get a good range of insects such as water boatmen, dragonfly larvae and water beetles, all of which will eat tadpoles. Quite likely newts as well. Fish-free ponds are generally vastly more interesting than ones with fish, which muddy the water and eat most of the wildlife.