Favourite "Weed"

WateryWatery Posts: 387

I'm seeing lots of posts with people asking  "is it a weed or not?" and thinking it would be fun to find out which plants you like that others consider a weed.

My absolute favourites:

1. lesser celandine

2. Speedwell

3. Green alkanet

4. Herb Robert

I don't have any of no. 3, which may be why I don't mind it, and I'm happy to pull out the Herb Robert when it's in the wrong place but it quite usefully lines the edges of my garden when nothing else is there.  And great for finches.

• LorrainePLorraineP Posts: 212

Ahhhhh!!!!  . . . . to lesser celendine in my garden especially in the lawn.  Love it in the local wood but NOT in the garden.   Oh I can't even think of some of the 'weeds' I do like now - will have to go and calm down for a whilewhile.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,168

I used to leave a patch of nettles but, to be honest, my garden is surrounded on 3 sides by arable fields or pasture and there are paddocks opposite, all with loads of nettles and creeping buttercup and dock and couch grass and thistles and dandelions and bindweed and bittercress and groundsel and herb Robert and ground ivy and mare's tail.  All of these feel free to spread their roots and seeds into my garden and grow with gay abandon if I let them.

I now have a no tolerance policy and clear them when I'm doing the spring clean, the autumn clear and intervening weeding programme.  This doesn't mean I don't still have weeds as they seem to grow again the minute I turn my back. 

The Vendée, France
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,803

Off the top of my head and in no particular order:

Cow parsley

Red clover

Herb Robert

Lesser celandine

Pink and white deadnettles

Jack by the Hedge

Cuckoo Pint

Ladies Bedstraw

Ground ivy

Dog's mercury

Common Restharrow

Eggs and bacon

Meadow buttercup

Ox-eye daisy

I could go on ........and on..........and on............ image

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,168

Ramsons isn't a weed here yet.  I'm nurturing a patch of 3 whole plants and looking forward to eating some one of these springs.

Forgot to mention sticky bud and volunteer brambles and willows.

The Vendée, France
  • CharlieBotCharlieBot Posts: 208
    I like don't mind valerian, feverfew and welsh poppy, all of which arrived and behaved as weeds in my garden. Herb Robert gives me the creeps!
  • JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Purple toadflax image

Beautiful, adds height, pollinator friendly and very easy to pull up if it seeds in an unwanted area.

I have pots of the stuff growing on to be transplanted into my borders I like it that much! I'll be using it at the back of an annual display I'm creating that will contain purple toadflax, cornflower blue, larkspur and ornamental clary.

• Red and White Clover. Makes a far nicer "lawn" than grass.

• AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

I would have to look up most of those weeds Dove!

Lady's Mantle comes to mind as a useful 'weed'

Bind weed is actually quite attractive...but better not in a garden!

Weeds that I have kept in my garden (as in self sown) are Purple Orchid (Orchis mascula), Holly, several Birch and Pine trees,  teasals, Foxglove and some others.

I get rid of Couch grass, clover, creeping clover and buttercup, bittercress, chickweed and Horsetail and etc etc.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,803

They're the 'flowers' of my childhood Blairs image  I grew up on a farm in a very rural village and was fortunate enough to go to the little village school (13 children in the whole school) and we had lessons in the meadow and went for naturewalks in the afternoons.  We saw slow worms, adders and orchids and learned to love and respect nature - absolute bliss image

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • Doogie72Doogie72 Posts: 62

I'm a bit of a novice - and can't name most of the weeds I like.  One springs to mind which has brown/purple leaves like clover leaves - very small creaping plant that I think has yellow flowers.

In my garden currently I'm dealing mainly with brambles and nettles - and honestly they're so much work any other weed is being tollerated by default as I have no time/energy to deal with them!

• marc weirmarc weir Posts: 124
    One I liked was even fed for a whole summer till I saw it on the street I thought it was nice looking plant.. it has green purple leaves with pink flowers and grows about the size of a upturned breakfast bowl. Any ideas ?
  • WateryWatery Posts: 387

Herb Robert is stinky and invasive but it's got beautiful red foliage all year round and little pink flowers.   I've been trying to get birdsfoot trefoil (eggs and bacon) to grow in my lawn but without success.  I've seen it locally so it must do OK in my type of soil.

I love buttercups too, of all type.   How can anything with such a cute name be a weed?  

• Best thing to do is buy the seed and grow it into little plugs then plant into lawn. Seeds are so small, even if it does blow into your garden it wont end up on a bit of soil.
  • WateryWatery Posts: 387

I think if it weren't so successful (and stinky) people would like it more.

• Janet  2Janet 2 Posts: 116
    Wonder what the difference between a weed and a wildflower is? Someone mentioned cuckoo pint as a weed,i have one in my garden that i bought a couple of years ago. That said,i know it grows wild in a little copse up the road
  • It's only a weed if you don't want it in your garden.

• OldtykeOldtyke Posts: 155

Cow parsley, but as I prefer to call it, Queen Anne's lace

• oxalis

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,253

I think a lot of favourite weeds go back to childhood rambles, as Dove says.  Some, like pineapple weed, have distinctive smells that can whisk me back to when I was 5 or 6 years old.  i love scarlet pimpernels too.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 9,336

You can have my vetch, Susan!  It's SO pretty, but the roots go on forever and once it's colonised a patch of something you want to keep it's practically impossible to get it out and it ramps away everywhere!  I'll send you some of my creeping buttercups too, if you like!  Anyone want some rosebay willowherb?

I love meadowsweet, harebells, speedwell ( that heavenly blue! ), foxgloves, cow parsley, ramsons ( wild garlic )...it's a long list.  I do like alchemilla mollis ( lady's mantle ) but am forever rooting it out because it seeds itself everywhere if I omit to cut down the flowerheads before they spread...and it can be a pig to shift.  But I suppose no country garden would be the same without it!

'Every Spring is the only Spring, a perpetual astonishment.'
    Ellis Peters 🌸