Forum home Plants

Help needed please with laurel hedge issues...

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,521
    jarrv said:
    Hi all,

ive been offered an established Laurel hedge with the condition that i have to dig them up myself.
    Most of the plants are 4ft high and quite bushy, if i do dig them up and replant in my garden are the likely to survive?

thanks

Yes.  :)
    Cut them back first, have the new location already prepped, then make sure they're well watered until established, which will be autumn. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,973
    When @Fairygirl says 'well watered' she means about three gallons each plant, every other day, from now until the end of September ... not a pint or two at a time.  Not meaning to sound bossy, but some people seem to think that will be enough ... I'm sure you won't make that mistake.

Give them a really good soaking before you dig them up ... several gallons a day for two or three days, so that the soil is soft and the fine roots are damaged as little as possible when you dig up those large rootballs.  

Good luck ... let us know how you get on... we love a project  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,521
    Yes - you can't overwater them  :)
    I moved one round to the back of my shed last year. It was about five foot in height and several feet in depth. I cut it back to the main trunks, and about 2 feet in size. It's covered in foliage now. I don't have to water quite as much here as you'd need in some areas, but it was still watered until winter, then it had nothing.

They're pretty indestructible as long as they're watered in well, and at this time of year, that needs to be bucket loads .  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• jarrvjarrv Posts: 8
    Ok thanks thats great to hear :) , im still a little torn as the seller wants about £50 per plant. Whilst i know there is a shortage this year and its the wrong time of year for root balls it does seems quite steep.
    Id be looking at £500 vs £200 for 3ft high potted plants at my local garden centre, i would prefer an instant hedge im leaning towards the easier option especially if im going to lose some of the height?

edited 13 July
    That's waaaaaaaaay too much.  :o:o:o   That's ridiculous.  Go for the 3ft high ones from the garden centre. They'll establish far quicker than the bigger ones.  A much better prospect. 

I thought he was offering them for free if you dig them up.  That'd be reasonable ... No way would I pay for them.  Not even half that much!
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,484
    I wouldn’t pay that either, if you can wait until the autumn you can get bare root plants for a fraction of that price and they will stand a better chance of taking than already established 4’ high ones. 
    This is what I bought, buy at 3’ and cut back to 2’ on planting,   They’ll make 4’ before you know it.
    they are bred in Scotland so very hardy.  You can pre order now and get a discount I think. 
    https://www.scotplantsdirect.co.uk/hedging/bare-root-hedge/laurel-hedging-prunus-plants/rotundifolia-common-laurel-hedge-60-90cm.html
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DitsyDitsy LondonPosts: 167
    £50 per plant, dug up yourself sounds excessive to me. I got mine from Direct plants, I don't know if they have large plants available. You will need to cut at least a foot or more off the ones you are buying anyway. 
  • jarrvjarrv Posts: 8
    thanks all, i did place an order last year for rootball's from a well know online shop but they never arrived, took a while to get my money back aswell.
    So after that debacle i held off and completely missed the boat :blush:

I will go for the younger plants from the local garden centre and cross my fingers they grow well enough :) 

At least if you look after them properly and they don't survive, you can complain to the garden centre ... you cant do that with the ones he want's you to dig up yourself!  

• DitsyDitsy LondonPosts: 167
    jarrv said:
    thanks all, i did place an order last year for rootball's from a well know online shop but they never arrived, took a while to get my money back aswell.
    So after that debacle i held off and completely missed the boat :blush:

I will go for the younger plants from the local garden centre and cross my fingers they grow well enough :) 

Good plan. :)