Forum home Plants

Help needed please with laurel hedge issues...

• Hi all, I thought I would post a quick update on my laurels. I posted on here in February 2021 for a bit of advice, you can see the original images below:

I cut them down a bit (almost in half) and they have started to thicken out. Most of the growth has appeared in the last three weeks so it's starting to look promising.  

I hope to get some more images through the summer, as the garden isn't very accessible at the minute. 

Can any one offer any advice on thickening out the bottom? Some of the trees (you can see on the far right) were planted at larger intervals so I am considering planting some smaller laurels (5 litre pots 60cm tall) just to fill in the gaps, but I'm worried digging new holes will disturb the already established root network of the others?

Thoughts welcome. 
  • DitsyDitsy LondonPosts: 167
    I am no expert but I think they will soon fill the gaps. Maybe cut some of the lower branches so that they grow back with lots more shoots.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,750
    Trim the hedge to a blunt ‘A’ shape (what is called ‘trimming to a batter’). That way the top won’t shade the bottom and the sunlight will stimulate growth at the bottom. 

See the section on formal hedges here https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?PID=353

😊 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

For example: Lawson cypressLeyland cypressyewbaycherry laurelcotoneaster and pyracantha

Formative pruning

• On planting, leave the leading shoot unpruned, lightly cutting back any straggly side shoots
    • In summer, trim sideshoots and tie in the leader to a supporting cane as it grows
    • Use secateurs for broad-leaved evergreens (e.g. laurel and bay)
    I have just read this in the link. I have already cut the leaders off my laurels at only 2' high. is this wrong?
    edited 25 June
    No sorry, I’ve confused you haven’t I … I was in a bit of a rush 🙄 …. I was referring to this section “… Formal hedges should be slightly tapered on both sides so that the base is wider than the top and light can reach the bottom of the hedge. This is known as cutting the hedge to a batter.

What you’ve done is fine for Laurel …it’ll grow lots of side shoots that’ll grow upwards. You’ll have a nice thick hedge. 😊 
    But it wouldn’t have worked for most conifers. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Sorry @Dovefromabove. I'm not the poster you answered just a loiterer with a very young Laurel hedge.
    Lol … that’s ok @Ditsy … I’ve just come back from a couple of days away … I obviously need to read back 😉 

• Trim the hedge to a blunt ‘A’ shape (what is called ‘trimming to a batter’). That way the top won’t shade the bottom and the sunlight will stimulate growth at the bottom. 

See the section on formal hedges here https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?PID=353

😊 

Thanks @Dovefromabove , I will have a go at tapering the hedge over the weekend. Much appreciated!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,423
    @Ditsy. You haven’t done wrong, I wouldn’t take any notice of that article,   The best way to treat laurels is to cut them down a bit on planting, all shoots, then keep picking out the middle shoots,   No need to only prune in the summer, cut any straggly branches in Spring, Summer and autumn if they’re growing out of shape. 
    Never put a stick in for the lead shoot, they don’t like being tied up.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• csutton193csutton193 Posts: 1
    Hi all.

First of all I have no idea about gardening so bear with me. 

Hoping to get some help here as the guy I bought my laurels off hasn't been a great help to me.

I bought them last November (I think they were rootball but cant remember)

As you will see in the pictures some of them have no leaves at all. Some are yellow and some are dropping leaves.

I have fed them with chicken manure pellets as advised. I have watered them, foliar fed them with miracle gro etc

Do they need pruning as the Op was advised or should I just leave them for a fj growing season to see they will come to life? Also if I am to start cutting them back I would have no clue where to start so any advice here would be great too. 

This thread is excellent by the way. Lots of good info and great to see progress pics posted over time.

Thanks in advance.

Chris