Forum home Plants

Help needed please with laurel hedge issues...

• Typically, the plants on the other side of the drive are looking even better, in rubble strewn soil Mr Jones had to use a pick on to help me dig it over. I cut them down hard at planting to try and give them a fighting chance to get established and they are now lovely green mounds and will probably outstrip the others next year 🙄

These are the two spares loving life near the shed under a tree 🤷 

• Not sure if any of the original posters are on here but I did promise updates of the little cherry laurel sticks I bought back in Feb 2018.  Here they are today in September 2020. Looking lovely and bushy. Regular trimming has helped. So it goes to show that in 2.5 years I have a healthy hedge of cherry laurels.... In another couple of years it should be the screen I hope for. 
  • Thank you for sharing the pictures  @andrealeepowell I find it great when people provide update on their projects after posting questions here on the forum. 👍
    Surrey
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,434
    They look lovely ,  it won’t take a couple of years though, by next year they’ll be to the top of the fence and more, don’t pick out anymore, now they’re established they’ll romp away.

Make sure when they are at the height you want that you keep them regularly trimmed across the top and sides or they’ll get out of hand. 
    We've now bought a long reach hedge trimmer for ours. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• joe.shimminjoe.shimmin Posts: 188
    Good morning. I’ve read a lot of this thread and feel like I have a good idea what to do with my small box hedge and my double thickness Portuguese laurel and cherry laurel hedge but I just want to check that I’ve got the right idea...

1. Is now the time to get cutting?

2. Here’s my small box hedge 

I planted it a couple of years ago in the autumn. They were bare root plants and I used root grow. They haven’t grown much but I guess they’ll come on well this year so I was going to give them a bit of a trim and scratch some fish blood and bone into the surface of the soil. They’re 35cm apart. I don’t want to clear away the grass from next to them as I want to provide some long grass and a wildlife corridor to the frogs that I have in my nature pond nearby.

Portuguese laurels bought as 6 foot rootballs. Didn’t do much for 2 years but hoping they’ll do more this year and finally meet up. They’re planted 85cm apart. They’ve certainly been growing their roots. They have a thick central trunk and grow out from that so I can’t reduce their height much without major work. I was just going to scratch some fish blood and bone into the surface and leave them to do their thing. 

4. Cherry laurels put in in autumn to make a double width of hedge as the road next to us is quite noisy and I want some good density of foliage, which I haven’t really seen with Portuguese Laurene hedges. 

5-6 foot pot grown. They look quite good compared to some that people have bought on this thread. I dug a trench for them and put in fish blood and bone. I plan to reduce the length of the longer stems and take the very ends off the other stems. Or should I take more off? 

I realise that I have bought plants that are too big, so no need to tell me that. I’m also going to allow the grass to grow up a bit around the laurels hedge to give another wildlife corridor and I understand that that will probably slow things down a bit. 

Please let me know if I need to be more aggressive in my cutting back. If so I will get going next weekend 😀

Any advice is much appreciated!
    edited 31 January
    A view from above where all 3 meet. The screen is just there for privacy until the hedges are thick/high enough. It doesn’t block light as the sun comes from the other direction.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,264

They'll both be compromised in their growth because they'll find it hard to get enough moisture and nutrients. One type would have been plenty, and I can't see it making a huge difference [ in terms of noise blocking ] to have two rows. A single hedge of cherry would get very solid and dense once established   :)
    You can cut them as hard as you want, in any direction, although now isn't the right time to do it.

I'd clear away a lot of that grass either side of the box - all competition for it. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

My issue with the the Portuguese laurel is I put that in first and now I wish I had put in cherry laurel from the start.

If I have to sacrifice one of the hedges it will be the Portuguese laurels but I hope for now that they will manage to live together and we’ll have cherry on one side and Portuguese on the other. 
    As I said, I don’t want to cut back the turf by the side of the hedges as I am trying to provide nature corridors - I am a keen nature gardener and a hedge planted as 2 rows certainly gives a lot of places for critters to crawl in. Long grass to the side provides another habitat.

you said now is not the time to prune. Please can you tell me when is. 
    Thanks.
  • Hi all, I have some sparse looking, woody laurels which I really want to thicken up this season. Some are better than the others, but overall I want to see them improve this year. I am going to clean up the base and remove the wooden supports very soon. I am also open to cutting them right down if it will help them grow wider, and buying more trees to fill the gaps? Any help appreciated!
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,434
    I would cut them back as shown here.
    In about two years they till be 4/5’ tall and about 3’ deep. They don’t take long after a cut.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.