Forum home Plants

Help needed please with laurel hedge issues...

1262728293032»

• Typically, the plants on the other side of the drive are looking even better, in rubble strewn soil Mr Jones had to use a pick on to help me dig it over. I cut them down hard at planting to try and give them a fighting chance to get established and they are now lovely green mounds and will probably outstrip the others next year 🙄

These are the two spares loving life near the shed under a tree 🤷 

• Not sure if any of the original posters are on here but I did promise updates of the little cherry laurel sticks I bought back in Feb 2018.  Here they are today in September 2020. Looking lovely and bushy. Regular trimming has helped. So it goes to show that in 2.5 years I have a healthy hedge of cherry laurels.... In another couple of years it should be the screen I hope for. 
  • Thank you for sharing the pictures  @andrealeepowell I find it great when people provide update on their projects after posting questions here on the forum. 👍
    Surrey
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,493
    They look lovely ,  it won’t take a couple of years though, by next year they’ll be to the top of the fence and more, don’t pick out anymore, now they’re established they’ll romp away.

Make sure when they are at the height you want that you keep them regularly trimmed across the top and sides or they’ll get out of hand. 
    We've now bought a long reach hedge trimmer for ours. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.