Forum home Plants

Help needed please with laurel hedge issues...

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,387
    I would wait until it gets warmer from spring onwards. The ones against the wall should also start growing soon. Feeding and replacing or top dressing more bark mulch will be ideal. They may not thrive as much there. The roots may be restricted due to the wall and the narrow bed. 
  • Thanks Borderline for your help will get cutting in March!
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,307
    Listen to Dove and Lyn and you will be OK.

Be Brave Mon Brave. B)
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,289
    @NewBoy2 I might have said it comes with age, but I’ll just say it comes with experience 😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,870
    🤣 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The plants look very spindly now , therefore if you don’t cut them back HARD , all the growth will be from the top buds leaving the base sparse and thin. Eventually the weight at the top will have them bending over . CUT EM HARD 1.5-2 ft they’ll produce good bushy plants and make a better hedge. If the pots were so full of root it’s wise to slash the roots to encourage them to branch out as well.Be careful watering too.regurlarly in summer not much in winter.
  • I think you would be waiting more like 5-6 yrs to achieve that.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,289
    5 -  6 years to achieve what @Roger.starr1?  I’ve cut laurels down to the ground and they’ve grown 2 - 3’ in a year. They are extremely quick growing.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pb77pb77 Posts: 4
    Hi all
    first time poster so just to say what a great thread. Secondly, I have a question which needs some serious advice before I engage in what may be folly of the highest order. Have I any chance of growing a laurel hedge in the concrete flower bed shown in the attached photo? The bed is 8” wide and 10”deep, and drains really well as the holes you see on the concrete base are also on the bottom and effectively on soil. My rationale is that if a laurel tree can grow in a small plastic pot it can also thrive in a concrete bed with good quality topsoil, lots of compost, great drainage and constant watering? Or am I deluded??
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,870
    Hi @pb7 and welcome 😊 

I think you know the answer to your own question don’t you? 😉

There’s not a hope in hell that you can grow a laurel hedge in that tiny space. 

Most shrubs need about as much space below ground as above. 

Have you considered a formal lavender hedge? I think it would look good and be happy there if it’s not too shady. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh