Help needed please with laurel hedge issues...

1171819202123»

• Loribeth70Loribeth70 Missouri United StatesPosts: 3
    Yes, is. Lol 
    It's an English Laurel. I was just reaffirming what all of you said.
    Regardless of your desired end results, if you cut it, it will grow back 2 or three fold.
    I can't wait to see what Frank has in store. Even though he looks sad and pathetic now, in 3-4 weeks I'm sure to have many buds to work with.
    The other 2 in the pot have more branches to work with, this one only lost 2 that were farther down, but I felt sorry for the guy so I'm making him a special project.
    Sorry for the confusion.
    I'll let you know how it works out. 
  • mark447mark447 Posts: 1
    Love this thread - it's the first I've seen that really talks about dealing with a laurel hedge.  I'm in the US, California, dealing with Carolina Cherry Laurel.  I'm trying to figure out how to renew/refresh an OLD hedge.  I bought a house 6 months ago that had been owned by the same owner for 41 years.  She surrounded the backyard with a laurel hedge when the house was new - about half of which has been well maintained, though I'm working on getting a lot of trash trees cut out of it.  The other half was not well maintained - the lower 6' is very woody and bare, and you can see a line where it had originally been kept trimmed at around 7' tall - but from that point now, there are long 4-5' shoots reaching to the sky.  It doesn't help that this stretch is in the shade of a very large tree most of the day.  This is along a masonry wall that is about 5' tall, so in my ideal world, I would be able to somehow trim these down and rejuvenate them to be 7 or 8' total height or less- I'm just afraid the trunks are too large and woody.  Has anyone ever tried to rejuvenate a plant this poorly maintained?  Am i going to be better off ripping them all out and starting over?  I just hate to give up on what is likely a very established root system.  I know there are a few in there that are obviously dead, but seeing those big shoots out of the top makes me think there might be hope.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 993
    You could try taking one down to 1 foot then waiting to see if it sprouts new growth. If it does then repeat with the others. Take out the dead ones anyway.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 57,158
    I’ve seen a huge mature laurel hedge cut down to short stumps and it rejuvenated and within a few years it was a thick and smart hedge. 

I would do exactly as @steephill has suggested. 

My one additional suggestion is that the roots are in a potentially very dry area (a rain shadow created by the wall as well as being a narrow bed) and will need plenty of watering  (real soakings) in the spring and summer if it’s going to produce lots of lushness new growth. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh